Pages

Friday, July 18, 2014

The Witch Doctor, Part 3

This week I went for my third appointment with Dr. B.  Ben was able to take a day off work to come with me and meet the doctor and see the magic for himself.  Although I think he was skeptical to begin with, he was wowed by the entire experience.  Dr. B is just pretty amazing like that.

The visit was full of good news.  My health continues to improve like never before.  I'm actually starting to feel like I have some energy.  For the first time in 15 years, I feel like I can make it through the day without wanting to curl up and go back to bed an hour after waking up.  For 15 long years, I have literally spent all day every day thinking of and longing for the next time I could go to sleep.... because that is how exhausted I have been at all times.  I felt like I was just lugging my unwilling body through every day.  Now, sure, I may experience a post-lunch slump or may indulge in a weekend nap.... but I don't feel like I could just pass out any time, any place, at any given moment from sheer exhaustion.  This is HUGE to me.  As I start to feel less exhausted, the bits and pieces of life start to seem far more surmountable... everything I do starts to seem just that much easier as it takes less energy... or rather, as I have more energy to give.  I know that I still have a really long way to go.  Dr. B says that a process like this can take a whole year or more.  But for the first time ever, I can actually SEE results and feel some HOPE.  I was honestly at the point where I never thought I was going to feel better again.  I cannot describe how thankful I am.

And the turnaround is incredible.  From that first appointment, where my tests showed nearly all my systems in red and yellow, with only a few in the healthy green levels, it's all turned around.  At this appointment, I showed six systems red (stressed) and all the rest green.  I am so proud of myself!  In two months, I've almost completely reversed my body's systems through completely changing my diet.

Because my system has turned around so effectively, I've even earned back yeast, cheese, and peanuts in small amounts.  HOORAY!  This totally revolutionizes what I can eat.  With those back in small amounts, I'll have so many more options.  Mushrooms, wheat, and corn are still no-nos though.

On this strict diet, I've already started losing some weight.  Dr. B recommended in order to kick-start more serious weight loss, that I eat only protein and fats (meat, avocado, eggs, and nuts) for 3 days straight (basically like Atkins), then go back to the more healthy, well-rounded diet permanently.  So today is my second of those three days, and let me tell you, I can't wait for some fruit!!  I definitely could not sustain this long-term.  But three days, I can do.

Dr. B also did the accupressure on some of my personality points with Ben present, and all of the readings came back to demonstrate things about my intense perfectionism (true story) and how I feel paralyzed by a big decision weighing over me that I feel I don't have any power over (boy howdy, yes.... but that's a story for another time).

After seeing all of this, Ben actually called Dr. B a witch doctor to his face.... and Dr. B just laughed and said that yes, he could see how someone would think that.  Man, I love a good self deprecating sense of humor.

After the appointment, Ben and I went shopping at both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.  How have I made it this far in life without ever having set foot in a Whole Foods?  I now want to live there.  I can home with all kinds of delicious goodies and a renewed sense of peace.  It was the best day that I'd had in a long, long time.

1 comment:

amypfan said...

Andrea Guyon Elstro Glad things are going better!

Cathy Willman Cheese and yeast and nuts, oh boy!

Helen Meyaard So glad things are looking up for you.

Elizabeth Mottley Wonderful progress!!!

Krysten Suellyn Stotts Smith Yeah!