Pages

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

The Witch Doctor, Part 2

Three weeks after my first appointment with Doctor Benzinger, I went back for a recheck.  As instructed, I had completely given up yeast, cheese, mushrooms, and peanuts.  These things were NOT easy, as they comprised some of my very favorite foods, but as he predicted, cutting them out of my diet did lead to me starting to feel better.

Notice that I say "starting" to feel better.  Everyone kept asking me, "Do you feel better now?" and I kind of felt like I should be able to respond with this resounded "Yes! My 20 years of medical problems have been CURED!"  But of course, in reality, it's just not that easy.

Then, and now, I keep getting weird little bumps of itchiness--not quite a full-on rash, but definitely more than isolated spots.  According to Dr. B, these come from cutting out yeast.  They are basically the toxin or the allergen rising out of my body.  Yep, that's the yeast, rising out of me.  Put me in the oven and bake me.  ;)

During me 3-week check, Dr. B re-ran all the accupressure tests on me.  Remember when I said that my tests were pretty much all yellow and red?  Well, they looked like a world of difference this second time around.  All the yellows (which are the really dangerous ones, which I know sounds backwards, but it's a European system of measurement) were GONE, and I'm now about half green and half red.  Dr. B said he was honestly "amazed" and "astounded" by my progress.  He said he could tell that I wasn't "cheating" at all and that it's extremely rare that a patient is able to turn things around things quickly.  He said that he could tell that I'm very determined to get well.... heck yeah I am!!  So already I was able to dial back on the supplements after that appointment--yay!

However, when I mentioned that I was still having some stomach problems, he said that was probably an indicator that there was an allergen we hadn't caught the first time around that was still irritating me.  So he re-ran the tests and..... nooooooo!!!!  I also need to eliminate wheat and corn.  These have proved to be a LOT harder than the previous four items.

While "gluten-free" is becoming a popular diet, it has a very steep learning curve.  I've messed up quite a few times already.  For example, I ate meatballs, completely forgetting that they have breadcrumbs in them (and WOW, was my stomach angry at me afterwards!).  I also ate french fries, completely unaware that they have traces of wheat in the breading (stomach not nearly as angry that time... must be less in those).  Or soy sauce and teriayki sauce, which have gluten in them.  Things I didn't know before....

The other problem is that many gluten-free items are made with corn as a substitute (for example, the gluten-free pasta at my local grocery store), which means that I still can't eat it.  And then when you take into consideration the amount of gluten-free recipes that contain cheese.... or mushrooms.... or peanuts.... or yeast.... well, I'm kind of struggling.  I've had some friends suggest that I look into paleo recipes, so that's on my "to do" list for after I finish combing through the gluten-free cookbooks that I've checked out of the library.

Anyway, back to the news from Dr. B.  I was also hoping to feel a huge surge of energy, but instead was feeling really worn out.  He said this wasn't surprising at all.  He said that during the "cleanse" phase, people generally just want to sleep around the clock, because their bodies are working so hard at getting rid of all the toxins that it uses up all their energy and completely wears them out.  Not exactly ideal for the mom of 4 kids who is also working and also living at a summer camp in full swing..... so yeah, I'm just REALLY tired, but hanging in there, and in spite of the tired, I do feel moderately better during the hours that I'm awake, and it would just pretty much take an explosion to wake me at night.  :)

He also reiterated that I need to stay away from bugspray and start getting all the chemical cleaners and stuff out of my house, so I'm currently starting to research homemade cleaners and essential oils as alternatives.  Hello, homeopathy!  So between that and the new diet, I have plenty to think about.  Another appointment coming up in about three weeks.  Fingers crossed for another good report!

12 comments:

Mindy Hiatt said...

Thanks for sharing! I love reading that this is helping you. It is very inspiring! =)

Unknown said...

They do make gluten free soy sauce, and the brown rice pasta that is available out there is actually a lot tastier than corn pasta. It is definitely a learning curve, but you'll get there! :)

amypfan said...

from Krysten Smith:
Another thing to try/lookup...SCD - Specific Carbohydrate Diet. This is the diet I followed pre-surgery, but am again following in hopes of cutting out some of the things that irritate me - sugar and lactose.

amypfan said...

from Meghan Alexis Robison:
So happy things are looking up!!! Baby steps!

amypfan said...

from Kristin Berry:
Thanks for sharing that. We have cut out all food dyes, processed foods and refined sugars and all chemical cleaners. I'd like to say it was the magic cure for my son who has fetal alcohol syndrome. It isn't but we are well on our way to success and all of us feel so much better!

amypfan said...

from Kinsey Small:
One of my old camp counselors, Ayris Jasmine B, is now very big into chemical-free alternatives for bug spray and sunscreen and the like for her and her daughter. Perhaps she would have some advice for you on what to try? I know she makes some of her own stuff as well.

amypfan said...

from Jenni Gilles Paustian:
Honestly, I think you are amazing!! I was overwhelmed just reading about all the changes you have made to your diet. It is really difficult and time consuming at first to completely change the way you eat. My hat off to you mom of 4!!!! I don't know how you have managed all of this while continuing to care for your little ones. Blessings to you!

amypfan said...

from Melissa Ludwa:
Wow! Your detoxing sounds a lot like what happened to me when I completed the Ultimate Reset in April: tired, a bit achy and yet most happily my digestion improved immensely... Have you heard of The Ultimate Reset? Also I'm curious which supplements you are on...?

amypfan said...

from Jen Rueth:
Thanks for the update! I nothing to offer in the way of suggestions, but am heartily cheering you on and excited for the improvement in your health you are already seeing.

amypfan said...

from Jeanne Parkhurst:
Give gluten free soy sauce Tamari Lite by Sad-Ja try.Its the best soy sauce out there.

amypfan said...

from Hannah Einterz Geisting:
Easy all purpose cleaner 1:1 water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. I also make my own window cleaner laundry detergent stain treater etc. let me know if you want "recipes".

amypfan said...

from Britta Kreps:
This is great news! If you need help exploring essential oils and homeopathy I can help.