Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sick, Party of Six

If it has seemed a bit quiet on our end lately, here's why.....

Sunday, December 9 - Bryn crawls into "Mommy and Daddy's big bed" and lays there shivering.  "I'm so cold," she whimpers.  Eventually she falls into a deep sleep, but I am woken up repeatedly by the feeling of her convulsing with chills next to me.

Monday, December 10 - Bryn wakes up with a fever of about 101.  Back to bed for her.  I spend the day pushing fluids and trying to keep her separated from the other kids.  She's lethargic and takes a long nap, but the fever breaks by afternoon, so I'm hopeful that she's feeling better.  I assume that she'll be headed to school the next day.

Tuesday, December 11 - Bryn's fever re-surges in the night.  No school for her again today.  I'm off to Kokomo for a doctor's appointment, but Ben holds the fort with the kids.  He gives Bryn some Tylenol, which she immediately throws up.  She takes a 5-hour nap.  At bedtime, Shay starts complaining of being cold.

Wednesday, December 12 - Bryn's fever is still high.  Shay is burning up.  Two girls called in sick to school.  Ben off to Indianapolis for a conference for the day.  Both girls glassy-eyed and staring into space for most of the day.  Naps all around.  Try to keep girls and boys separated.  By afternoon, I'm feeling feverish and dizzy.  Then I get a killer headache.  By the time Ben makes it back from Indy (7:30 pm), all kids are watching a movie and I'm laying on the couch with a cold washcloth on my forehead, burning up with fever.

Thursday, December 13 - Bryn is feverless, so Ben gets her off to school.  Shay and I lay in bed, fevered.  I got a runny nose and sore throat.  Shay started coughing.  Bryn made it through the day at school, but then came home and lay semi-conscious on the couch for the rest of the evening.  She started with a deep hacking cough too.  Shay's fever broke by mid-morning though, and she begged to be allowed to participate in her preschool's Christmas pagaent the next day (she was playing Mary).

Friday, December 14 - Miraculously, Shay made it through the night and morning with no fever, so she was permitted to go to school.  She played Mary in the pageant, and Aiden was Baby Jesus.  Ben's mom made the trip down to see the show.  Several people commented that Shay "wasn't quite herself" and Ben noticed her zone out several times during the show.  Meanwhile, Bryn's cough worsened, and she stayed home again.  Liam woke up with a fever of 101, crying pitifully.  He crawled into "Mommy and Daddy's big bed" and remained there for the rest of the day--except when I had to move him to the couch so I could change the sheets after he threw up on them (twice).  My fever continued.  Regretfully, Ben made the decision that we would have to bow out of our weekend plans to celebrate Christmas with his family at a hotel water park.  Kids cried miserably when informed of this decision.  After preschool, Shay crawled back into bed for a long nap.  By afternoon, her cough had worsened.  By bedtime, her fever had returned.

Saturday, December 15 - Fevers continue for me, Liam, and Shay.  Bryn is fever-free but still coughing.  Shay, Liam, and I are all now coughing as well.  Ben tries to sanitize the house and keep Aiden away from the rest of us.  Liam lays in bed, crying pitifully, "I be healthy... I be healthy, please..."

Sunday, December 16 - Liam's fever is better.  My fever is gone, but my head is so stuffed up that my equilibrium is off and I feel incredibly dizzy all day.  Shay and Liam's coughs get worse.  Bryn's gets better.  Aiden develops a deep, juicy cough.  At bedtime, Shay's fever kicks up again, rising to nearly 102.

Monday, December 17 - After a full week of illness, Bryn is recovered and goes to school.  Shay is fevered, her coughing is intense, and she throws up.  Liam's fever is lower and he's coughing too.  Aiden is also coughing.  My fever is gone, but I've singlehandledly used up three boxes of Kleenex and show no signs of improving in that area.  I call the doctor and learn that the best they can do for us scheduling-wise is to fit in the three kids for appointments (not me) with two separate doctors, two hours apart, during naptime.  I am desperate and agree.  Shay, Liam, Aiden, and I spend four hours at the doctor's office.  They hold up like champs, with minimal whining, though lots of laying on me and whimpering "I don't feel good."  Aiden starts with the fever, which is confirmed by the doctor.  She says his lungs are filled with gunk and prescribes a steroid, which she hopes will clear his lungs and lower the fever.  Liam and Shay see another doctor, who diagnoses with both with bronchitis and prescribes an antibiotic.  Liam's fever rises to 102.5 while at the office.

Tuesday, December 18 - It's currently 9:45 am.  I continue to blow through boxes of Kleenex but am fever-free.  Bryn is at school.  Shay and Liam are both still in bed, as both were up coughing frequently in the night.  Aiden's fever is low and the coughing doesn't seem to be any worse.  Ben, however, woke up dizzy, crawled back in bed, and moaned, "I think I'm sick."

Hoping to all be well by Christmas....

No comments: