Pages

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

"Waiting on" Wednesday: "The Kill Order"

I recently discovered a new blog, Breaking the Spine, that hosts a weekly event called "Waiting on" Wednesday.  Hundreds of book-lovers chime in about what upcoming releases they can't wait to get their hands on.  The librarian in me LOVES seeing so many people get excited about books, and my bibliophile tendencies have me eagerly perusing and scribbling down lists of future reads.  I've got a contribution this week, so I thought I'd start playing along.

This week I am awaiting the release of James Dashner's The Kill Order.  It's the prequel to his Maze Runner trilogy, which I read last year.  I have less than a week to wait, as it will be released on August 14.

Here's the Goodreads summary of what we have to look forward to:

Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.

Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.

Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive.


Personally, I'm looking forward to it because the trilogy left me with SO MANY unanswered questions.  So many, in fact, that I came away from The Death Cure (the third book in the trilogy) feeling incredibly frustrated.  So I've been looking forward to the publication of this prequel, in hopes that it will answer some of those many lingering questions.  However, the Maze Runner trilogy focused on characters Thomas and Teresa and their friends, so after reading this review, I'm not sure if I'm ready to enter the world of the yet-unknown Mark and Trina.  I'm not sure if a story about other characters can answer my most nagging questions, namely: "Did Thomas ever truly believe in the cause of WICKED?" and "How were these kids selected for the Maze?  Did they know what was going to happen to them?"  I'm hoping that at the bare minimum, The Kill Order will explain what on exactly the Creators were looking for in terms of the "patterns" that they frequently referenced but never actually explained in the other books.

So after thinking about all of this, I read this Kirkus Review from the blogger who brings us Bookshelves of Doom.  And I have to say that the review was exactly in line with my frustrations regarding the Maze Runner trilogy, including the spell-it-out but don't-inspire-any-emotion nature of James Dashner's prose.  So now I'm not quite as excited to pick up The Kill Order, as both the summary and the review indicate that it will continue with many of the frustrations I had with the rest of the trilogy, without answering many of my lingering questions.  That being said, I'll still be rushing to the library next week to pick it up, as I seem to be physically unable to leave a series unfinished.  :)


1 comment:

Krystianna (Downright Dystopian) said...

Great pick! I'm so excited to read this one. I absolutely loved The Maze Runner trilogy and I can't wait to see how it all began. :)