Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thursday Thirteen: Summer Memories

The summer of 2012 has certainly been one to remember!  In no particular order, here are 13 Things to Never Forget:

1. June 18--the birth of Aiden Thomas.  Our sweet, perfect little boy, evening the odds in our family, bringing the boys' total up to match the girls'.  He certainly put me through the ringer while he was still inside me--inspiring migraines, varicose veins, and bedrest--before arriving and weighing in at 9 pounds 1 ounce.  Big siblings Bryn, Shay, and Liam were incredibly excited for him to arrive and have doted on him ever since Day 1.

 2. Mrs. Rosy--our own personal Mary Poppins.  I simply could not have made it through the final weeks of my pregnancy or the early weeks of having 4 kids if it were not for the wonderful Larinda.  She came over every day to babysit my kids.  She brought boxes of toys from her house for them play with, did art projects, changed a million diapers, and made it all look easy.  I stand in awe of her.

3. July 7--the wedding of Kristin and Brian.  My sweet sister got married this July, and Bryn, Shay, Liam, and I were all in the ceremony.  We spent a wonderful four days in Peoria celebrating with my extended family.  We simply could not be happier for Kristin and Brian!

4. Bryn's acting career continued this summer.  She was in her third play, "James and the Giant Peach," playing the multiple roles of a seagull, a cloud fairy, and a little girl.  She absolutely loved the entire experience!

 5. Visits from friends.  We were fortunate enough to have several good friends make the trek up to visit us this summer.  We got to see both the Graunkes and the Willlmans, and our kids had a blast playing together.  The prizewinners, though, are the Elstros--who came and stayed with us for an entire week!  Bryn and Hannah are BFF, as are Shay and Hailey, and all the kids had so much fun playing all week.  I had a great time "playing" with Andrea as well, as we got caught up on all of those things that we never have time to talk about on the phone.  :)  Andrea even took nighttime baby duty for the week, so in spite of having a house full of 6 kids for the week, I was better rested at the end than the beginning!

6. On a similar note, Bryn's week at Day Camp also makes the list.   Hannah went to Day Camp with her this year (thus the Elstros' week-long visit), and they both had so much fun that they came home utterly exhausted every day.  Bryn adored their counselors and is already talking about how she can't wait for next summer.

7. Kata Monster.  Kata (her last name) was a counselor at Camp Tecumseh this summer, as she has been for several years.  This summer, she started playing "monster" with Liam.  This just happens to be his favorite game, and he requested her pretty much constantly.  He would get up in the morning and tell me, "I go to camp.  I see my Kata Monster.  She get me!!"  And then he would proceed to run for the front door, squealing in delight and anticipation of seeing his playmate.

8. Dave's last summer at camp.  Dave has worked at Tecumseh for 40 summers, and he's been the Executive Director since before I was even a camper here.  For so many people, he is the "face" of Camp T.  He has helped to create camp as it is today, and he is responsible for hiring Ben and bringing our family "home."  We can never even begin to repay him for all he has done for our family and for camp.

9. Bryn and Shay's visit to Nana's house.  Our girls went up to Michigan and spent five days with Ben's parents.  This marked the first time since Bryn was born that I've been outnumbered by the boys in my household!  They loved their visit.  Highlights included swimming in the lake all day, playing with her dog, and getting all-around spoiled.  :)

10. Liam and his friend Alex.  Alex has been a counselor at Tecumseh for 3 summers now.  When he and Liam met last summer, they immediately became fast friends.  In fact, when Liam first learned the word "friend" last summer, he used it as synonymous with "Alex."  Alex came and visited Liam whenever he was in the area this year.  This summer, whenever we went to camp, Liam would request: "I go to dining hall.  I see Alex!"  We are so blessed to have so many wonderful counselors around to love on our kids!

11. July 31--the arrival of baby Hattie.  My adorable little niece, Harriet Lakshmi Pfanschmidt, was born at the end of July to my brother Brian and my sister-in-law Lakshmi.  While I have not yet met her in person (I can't wait!), I am thrilled to be an aunt and show off her picture frequently.

12. In other family news, my stepsister Lindsay departed to spend a full year working as a nanny for a family in New Zealand.  I am incredibly jealous of  all the breathtaking views and exciting adventures that she's getting to experience!  I love reading her blog to hear about all that she's doing.

13. Library programs.  (The librarian in me just couldn't leave this off the list!)  The kids and I spent the majority of our summer "playing" at the library.  Bryn, Shay, and Liam all enjoyed the weekly story hour, and Bryn participated in an American Girl club and some other special events as well.  All 3 of the kids were incredibly determined to earn all 6 prizes offered in the summer reading program, and we diligently marked off their reading logs every day.  In the end, they succeeded, finishing the highest challenge offered.  Way to go, my little bookworms!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy! So honored to be mentioned in your blog! Tell my Liam Monster that his Kata Monster misses him very very much!