Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Mysteries of Newborns

Having a newborn raises causes the contemplation of many interesting mysteries of life.  Of course, the hours spent semi-conscious in the middle of the night are an excellent time for this contemplation.  Over the course of the last month, I have spent some serious time considering these questions:

How did a 22.25 inch baby fit inside me?  While holding Aiden in the hospital, I just kept marveling at his length and thinking how scrunched up he must have been to fit in my belly.  No wonder I felt like he was constantly kicking me!

How is it possible that I birthed a 9 pound baby, plus all the other gunk that comes out during the birth process, yet when I stepped on the scale when coming home from the hospital, I had only lost 6 pounds?

Speaking of the less-than-impressive weight loss, what is the proper response to give my daughters when they say, "Mommy, why is your belly still big?"  The whole "9 months on, 9 months off" concept is lost on them.

Is it possible that even though he tested fine at the hospital, my baby might be suffering from some kind of hearing loss?  Because, really, I don't understand how he sleeps through the ruckus of his three older siblings chasing each other around all day.  Not to mention the fact that he snoozes through meals in the camp dining hall.  (The answer to this burning question, I suspect, has something to do with him having gotten used to these noises in utero.  But still.  I hear them every day and I still think they're loud!)

And if he can sleep through all that noise during the day, why is it that he's wide awake in the middle of the night?  Is it too quiet for him?  Do I need to leave the TV on for him or something?  If so, do I actually want to go down that road?  In short.... why, oh why, have all of my babies had their days and nights mixed up?  Mommy wants to sleep!

How can someone that little produce so much poop?

How has the last month gotten away from me so fast?  I have yet to mail thank you notes for all the sweet gifts that people have sent us (and we do appreciate them very much!), and I haven't had time to design a birth announcement yet (much less print, stuff, address, and mail them).

On that note, how has the entire summer gotten away from me?  It's already halfway through Week 6 of summer camp (of 9 total weeks) and I feel like I've hardly been at camp at all.  I don't even know the names of any of this year's new counselors yet, and they'll be going home soon!  And my kids start back to school in less than a month.  How did I spend the entire school year waiting for summer, only to have it flash by so quickly?

Today, Aiden is officially one month old.  I simply cannot fathom how the last month has flown by so quickly, particularly when the previous 9 months seemed to drag on forever.  Aiden is doing absolutely great: eating heartily, bulking up his skinny little body, sleeping well (at least during the day), and tolerating the constant affection from his brother and sisters.  I'm slowly starting to feel like a normal human again.  My varicose veins have mostly deflated, and I can move around without pain now.  I'm still awfully weak, as my muscles kind of atrophied during those 13 weeks stuck in bed, but as long as I remember to take it relatively easy, I do okay.  I've actually watched my kids solo several days this week, trying to work up to when I have to be a full-time human again when our wonderful sitter heads back to school this fall.  I even made a solo outing with my four kids on Saturday, taking them on Baby's First Trip to the Zoo (which he slept through).  In short, life is starting to return to normal around here... whatever "normal" looks like for a family with 4 kids ages 6 and under!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for the update! I've wondered how things are going for you. As a fellow mother of a 9 pound, 22 inch baby, I totally relate to your feeling of how in the world they fit in the womb!
So glad to hear that your body is slowly recovering from pregnancy.

SlyGly said...

It's always so exciting to see one of your posts show up in my Google reader. I love watching your family grow!