Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Bryn Elizabeth: Our Princess

With one thing and another, it has actually been quite a while since I have written any dedicated posts about the kids, which is kind of ridiculous, since I originally started this blog as a way to keep family and friends updated on their antics.  So in the next couple days, I'm going to do a post about each of them, just to bring you all up to speed on what they're up to these days.


First up is my sweet Bryn Elizabeth.  Ever since she was about a year old and developed a penchant for all things pink, she has been known as our Princess.  These days, she's grown out of a lot of the girliness (she even told me recently that pink is no longer her favorite color!), but the sweet heart of our princess remains.

Bryn is now 6 1/2 years old.  Wednesday was her last day of kindergarten, so I guess I officially now have a first grader on my hands.  Where does the time go?!?  She absolutely thrived during her year of kindergarten; she adored her teacher and was full of stories of school and everything they were learning.  She's reading like a champ, having mastered all of the kindergarten sight words and many others.  She also loves to write, and I've started her on keeping a "journal" of her summer, where she writes a few sentences every day to keep in practice.  She also loves to make crafts and do art projects, and she often starts into them with grandiose expectations, such as making an individual drawing for each kid in her class.  She's incredibly determined and hardworking.  In short, that apple didn't fall far from this tree.  It's so fun for me to see Bryn loving all the things that I loved as a kid, and she loves to hear stories about "when Mommy was little."

This summer, Bryn will again be participating in the community play, which happens to be "James and the Giant Peach," and is looking forward to various library programs, including a "Fancy Nancy" party and an "American Girl" club.  She'll also be attending a week of Tecumseh Day Camp at the end of July, and her best friend Hannah is coming up from Indy to do that with her.  Most of all, she's looking forward to "spending special time with Mommy," "playing at camp," and "my new baby brother getting born."

One of the many awesome things about Bryn is how much she loves to learn.  She constantly wants to be doing worksheets out of her "learning books" (skill workbooks for her grade level and beyond), and one of my favorite things is how she loves to play "school" with Shay as her student, often writing out her "lessons" on the white board in the kitchen.  Shay just eats this up and has actually learned a lot this year from her big sister (but more on Shay tomorrow....).  Bryn still loves to cuddle up next to me and read book after book, which I find to be an ideal activity while I'm on bedrest.  She has been invited to participate in the high-ability cluster for her grade next year at school, and Ben and I couldn't be prouder.

Of course, she's not perfect--no one is.  She has a deep love of television, which she watches with an intensity that is hard to interrupt.  She has also mastered the arts of whining and tantruming, which makes me fear for her days as a teenager.  But for the most part, she has a sunny disposition (especially when she's around people other than her immediate family... ahem).  She has actually been an awesome helper to me while I've been on bedrest, often volunteering to pick things up for me or get things for me, and I love seeing her kind heart in action.  She is tender and sweet and gets her feelings hurt easily, but she is also quick to forgive and doesn't hold grudges.  Even at 6, she still says that I'm her very best friend, and I can't help but hope that we stay this close forever.  I missed my sweet girl during the school year, when the evenings just didn't seem to be long enough to cram in everything we wanted to do (especially with me feeling so cruddy).  I'm so looking forward to having her with us this summer and having her share in the excitement of the baby's arrival, although I'm sure that will all seem to go too fast too.

Sometimes I look at Bryn still see her as my baby, and I can't imagine how she got to be 6 1/2 already.  And then other times, I get these glimpes of the person that she's growing up to be, and I again marvel at how fast the time is slipping by.  I'm so proud of my little girl and love being with her.  I count myself as very blessed!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I completely understand - I can't believe how fast they are growing! Hannah fell asleep this afternoon (a very very rare event) and I was watching her sleep, thinking about how many times I watched her nap as a preschooler, toddler, and baby. I feel like I blinked!

We are lucky to have such sweet girls! <3

Cathy said...

Glad to hear that she is still the same at heart as when I got to see her almost everyday. Such a sweetheart! We miss you guys!