Pages

Thursday, May 03, 2012

33 Weeks

I am huge.  Huger than huge.  Uncomfortably huge.  "Hey strangers, look out for my stomach, because I can't control it and will likely bump into you" huge.

Not to sound dense, but this actually just occurred to me.  You would think that I would have noticed it sooner, but since I'm on bedrest, my stomach really doesn't get in my way very much.  But a couple of days ago, I took a long, hard look at myself in the mirror.  And I realized that all those people who have stared at me with their eyes bugging out in public, who have asked if I'm carrying twins, who have declared that my due date must be wrong, who have annoyed me to no end.... well, they're kind of right.  There is a LOT of baby there.

I'm going to show you what I'm talking about.  But first, a disclaimer.  While I have often thought that those expectant mama photographs of the burgeoning bellies are cute, I have never actually taken one myself.  Not even during my first pregnancy, before the stretch marks settled in.  These days, my stomach looks like a war zone.  My stretch marks have stretch marks.  You will also have the opportunity to admire the stretch-pants-and-tank-top ensemble that I wear under my clothes every day--very classy.  So please, be gentle with your assessments of this picture:

Yeah, I told you.  I'm huge.  And I still have seven weeks left.

I had a doctor's appointment today, and as if to prove all of my recent observations of hugeness, I had a delightful conversation with the nurse while she took my basic stats.  We were chatting perfectly pleasantly until she pulled up my chart and said, "Oh my gosh, you're 33 weeks."  Um, yes, I am.  "Wow," she said, "I would have guessed at least 37 from looking at you."  Yeah, that's right, the obstetric nurse, who sees pregnant ladies day in and day out, every single day, as her profession, guessed me to be at least a month further along than I actually am.

Yet the appointment itself proved that the baby is measuring perfectly normal, so I guess looks can be deceiving.

As usual, there were very few new developments from the appointment.  The baby is healthy; I am not.  Hang in there.

My appointment today was with the nurse practitioner (although I will see my actual OB for every appointmenht after this), and she got me pretty excited by saying that she thought that, given my condition, we could go in after this baby 2 or 3 weeks early.  Of course, then I realized that she actually has no authority to make that decision, so my excitement quickly dissipated.

Today's urine analysis revealed that my glucose levels are a little high--a fact which would be more worrisome if I hadn't had to shamefully admit to having drunk a huge Coke for lunch directly before coming to my appointment.  I've been having to take Ambien (half a pill) to sleep through my pain at night, which works pretty well, except that I find it really hard to shake the after-effects of that sleepiness during the day.  Thus my caffeine craving.

My weight check showed that I have actually lost little bit of weight (like a pound or less) since my last appointment two weeks ago.  I was considering this to be a good thing... until the nurse said that my urine analysis also showed that I have a large amount of ketones, which are indicative of weight loss, but also can also indicate other problems, so therefore I should eat more.  I actually feel like I eat all the time, but as I think about it, I guess I am eating less than I had been earlier in the pregnancy.  I'm just not really very hungry (probably because the baby is taking up all my stomach space), plus my acid reflux is so bad that it makes food pretty unappealing.  But I will try.

The nurse offered to refer me for physical therapy to help with my sciatic nerve pain, but I said no.  I did that during my pregnancies with both Bryn and Shay, and it honestly didn't help at all, so I don't really feel the need to drag myself out to further appointments for it.  Plus the sciatic pain is really just a drop in the bucket compared to my vein pain, so I'll just keep on keeping on.

In other baby-related news, we are still utterly failing at finding a summer babysitter to help out while I'm on bedrest and immediately after this baby comes.  We're mostly covered for the month of May, thanks to having so many wonderful summer camp counselors at our disposal before staff training starts in the last week of May.  However, June is downright discouraging.  Four different times, we've thought that we've found a sitter, only to have it fall through.  So please say some prayers for us to be able to find a good sitter to love on our kids (and also to ease my stressed-out state).

Seven more weeks (or thereabouts).  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Look at you GROWING A HUMAN BEING!!!!!! You should smack anyone who says the first negative thing to you. You are nurturing a healthy baby...something many of us cannot do and you, yourself, have struggled with. I know you are in mass amounts of pain and discomfort, and you have all my sympathy. But you just remind yorself God has called you to be this baby's Mama (and you are doing a fabulous job with him already)!!!!! You just go right ahead and grow that baby!

Chris, Britta, Grace, Gianna, Toby, Josh, and Sam said...

Breathe in Jesus, breathe out love! That's our favorite phrase for times when all else fails.

Hang in there partner. I'm so sure this is so hard for you right now. I also know you take great stock in God's word and believe He is there to help us. Find comfort in Jeremiah 29:11...a personal favorite of mine.

love ya

Jean said...

You are simply amazing, Amy. Hang in there. :)

Cathy said...

You're growing a Person! You look great! And your pic didn't capture any stretch marks - remembered the no flash trick. ;) Just a nice healthy baby. You're doing a wonderful job focusing on that! And you've been a Superchamp this long. You Can Do It!

amypfan said...

Thank you, my friends. I so appreciate all your good wishes and encouragement!

amypfan said...

Thank you, my friends. I so appreciate all your good wishes and encouragement!

Amy said...

You are doing great considering all you are doing. I've found a great nany from care.com. I actually had 20 applicants in the week that I had the ad posted. I hope that there aren't any more hiccups in the next 7 weeks.