Pages

Monday, January 02, 2012

Goals for 2012

Much like everyone else, I'm thinking about "resolutions" or goals at this time of year.  A couple of years back, I posted my resolutions on this blog and then did a monthly evalution of how I was doing.  That really helped me to stay on track, so I'm going to try it again this year.  I may add to or edit these as the year progresses, but here's what I'm thinking right now (listed in no particular order):

1. Read the equivalent of a book a week.
As previously mentioned, I really enjoyed doing that this year.  I haven't read that much in years, but it brought me a lot of joy.  May be a little harder this year, as my classes are probably going to hinder rather than help, but I'm still going to give it a shot.

2. Blog regularly.
As I mentioned in my last post, I really enjoyed spending more time writing this past year.  Since I don't have a defined writing project for this year, I'm going to try to keep up my writing by posting on this blog.  Note: my loophole here is that I'm not currently defining what "regularly" means.  ;)

3. Monitor my own health; stay healthy; keep this baby healthy.
As I explained in my post about Number Four, I've had a lot of health problems related to babies, but also a lot of problems non-related (thyroid, migraines, etc.).  I really want to be more proactive about monitoring my health this year.  Hey, maybe I'll even get myself to a point where I'm not exhausted all the time!  And obviously, having a healthy pregnancy, delivery, and infant is a top priority.

4. Organize photos and memorabilia.
This is an ongoing struggle for me.  I love to take pictures and save memorabilia for scrapbooks, but I have not actually put together a scrapbook since my junior year of college.  Thus I have boxes in the garage labeled with every year since then.  Right now, I'm thinking that a gigantic scanning project is in order.  I'm not delusional enough to think that I'm going to manage to put together 11 years worth of scrapbooks this year, but seriously, it's time to go through the boxes and determine what needs to be saved and what doesn't.

5. Get our house into "finished" condition.
As much as any living space can actually ever be "finished," that is.  This entails actually painting the walls (which I meant to do before we moved in, almost 9 months ago), hanging picture frames, organizing our garage, and emptying some of those millions of totes and boxes.  I think there's a good chance that I'm a hoarder at heart, albeit a very organized one.

6. Love, value, and respect my family.
I don't know if there's any tangible way to measure this, but my family means the world to me and I want to truly appreciate my time with them.

7. Read the whole Bible and spend more time in prayer.
Pretty self-explanatory.

8. Be positive.
Again, I don't know if there's a tangible way to measure this, but I do know that as my aches and pains of pregnancy increase, I get more and more frustrated and negative (and this is with 25 weeks still to go!).  So I really want to be deliberate about changing my heart and my attitude.

So there you have it.  Hold me accountable, please.  :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Great goals! I've never been one to make New Year Resolutions, but I am always in awe of your list.

By the way, every time you say Number Four, it makes me think of the movie "I Am Number Four." And yes, I have seen it (a side effect of being married to a geek). Anyway, I might be disappointed if your baby doesn't come out with super powers. Just letting you know. ;)

amypfan said...

Haha, I read the book, read the sequel, and saw the movie.... and I think the same thing every time too!! It would be pretty awesome to have a kid with superpowers though. :)