Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Evening the Odds

Every time I have gotten to about this stage of pregnancy, people have started asking: "So are you going to find out?"  Meaning the sex of the baby, of course.  I have many friends who have elected to wait and be surprised on delivery day, but in the MeyPfan family, the answer is unequivically YES, we want to know.  In fact, when Ben and I went in for my 20-week ultrasound with Bryn and the ultrasound tech asked me if we wanted to check for the gender, I answered, "Let's put it this way: we are not leaving this office until we know!"  Perhaps not my least-cranky pregnant-lady moment.  But you get the idea.

So of course, we have been anxious to know the sex of this baby.  As I mentioned before, Ben has been absolutely convinced (or perhaps just really, really hoping) that this baby is a boy--so much that he has refused to even discuss girl names.  My gut instinct (which was correct with Liam and Shay, but wrong with Bryn) has also been telling me "boy."  But of course, the suspense remains.

My OB's office does The Big Ultrasound no earlier than 20 weeks.  So even though I have done it at 18 or 19 weeks before, and I have friends that have done it far sooner, I have been resolved to wait patiently until 20 weeks.  I'm 17 1/2 weeks right now, as a reference point.

So when I went in for my 16 week appointment, I knew that there wouldn't be anything too exciting happening.  I figured just a basic check, a discussion of my daily migraines (that won't go away no matter what--arghh!), and I'd be out of there.

But then the doctor couldn't find the heartbeat.

This panicked my doctor WAY more than it panicked me.  (Note to elaborate upon in another post: it is never a good thing when your doctor panics.)  During my previous pregnancies, my doctors also had a hard time finding heartbeats for Bryn, Shay, and Liam... pretty much every time I visited.  This used to worry me, but eventually I got used to it.  Then an excellent ultrasound tech told me once that I have a retroverted uterus, which basically means that it's tipped slightly backwards instead of forwards, so my babies don't sit in quite the same position as other people's--thus why it's hard to find their heartbeats.  So I explained all of this to my doctor, and she seemed somewhat reassured (again, it's never good when the patient has to reassure the doctor--one of a myriad of reasons that I am currently investigating other OBs).

Then she asked me if I had felt the baby moving yet.  I had not.  She got all panicky again, and was like, "Welllll, 16 weeks IS the very earliest that you would feel it, but if you haven't felt it move yet, AND we can't find a heartbeat, we'd better do an ultrasound to make sure everything is okay."  Not the picture of the calm doctor I was hoping for.

So I headed into the ultrasound room, where the tech found the heartbeat in less than 30 seconds.  As I had tried to explain to the doctor, my uterus just sits in a little bit of a weird position, and of course when the tech can see that on the ultrasound, finding the heartbeat is no problem at all.  (I kind of felt like issuing a big "I told you so" to the doctor at this point, but I refrained.)

I really like the ultrasound tech at this office, so I said to her, "Look, I know 16 weeks is kind of early to be able to tell the sex of the baby, but I'd be kicking myself for the next 4 weeks if I didn't at least ask you if you could see anything."

She was totally agreeable and said, "Sure, I can look.  Of course, you do know that 16 weeks is sometimes a little early to be able to tell anything conclusive.... Oh wait.... Yeah, that's conclusive!"


Yeah, that's right, we're having a boy!

Ben was SO excited when I came home and told him.  (He was also very excited about the Chipotle burrito that I brought him to celebrate.)  The girls had mixed reactions.  Bryn, who had been rooting for a boy on the rationale that "I want three boys and three girls in our family" (that's including parents), was thrilled.  Shay, who was desperate for a baby sister, was less excited.  After thinking it over, she asked, "Well, can our next baby be a girl then?"

Oh, mercy.  I think 4 kids aged 6 and under is plenty, thanks.

Anyway, we are very excited about our new little addition.  This will work out perfectly, since Liam will be sharing a room with the baby.  Now I get to spend the next few months boy-ifying it!  (which I started yesterday with some blue paint)  Plus we are very excited to have our 2 little matched sets, 2 girls and then 2 boys, all 2 years apart.

So it looks like Ben was right; we did not need to discuss girl names after all.  :)

4 comments:

Cathy said...

AHHH!!!!! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!

Elizabeth said...

Yippee!!! That's so thrilling!!! Congratulations!

Melissa said...

Congrats! He looks cute! Also, way to go on being smarter than your OB.

Andrea said...

Congrats!!! :)