Pages

Friday, November 05, 2010

October in Review - Amy

1. Read the Bible.
Still reading.

2. Read at least one pleasure reading book per month.Fail. I was supposed to read The Help by Kathryn Stockett for my book club, but because I've been so busy, I haven't been able to finish it yet. I guess that *kind of* works out though, because I was also too busy to attend my book club meeting with all my wonderful friends last night. :(

3. Join some kind of musical group and perform with them.As I said in my last update, we had my second concert on the first weekend of October. I then gave myself two weeks off rehearsal (which gave me some much-needed study time), since I had a conflict and wasn't able to perform in our mid-October concert. I'm now back at rehearsals and getting ready for next week's concert!

4. Blog daily.I've given up on this goal, and I have two reasons to justify it. :) The first is that when I look back at old posts from before this year, they have lots of comments on them. This year's posts are pretty barren, most of them having no comments at all. So that leaves me to think that either no one is reading anymore (except the grandparents, who usually see all my pictures sooner or later anyway!), or that my readers are so overwhelmed by the volume of posts that they don't read them all. So I'm thinking that in either case, it's fine to cut back. Secondly, both of my grad classes* are online. I spend so much time working on them that by the time I'm done, the last thing I want to do is launch into another online project. Really all I want to do is slam the laptop shut and go cuddle my husband and kids.

* Speaking of cutting back, I am thrilled to report that I will only be taking one class instead of two next semester. I am hoping that this will greatly reduce my stress level. In the meantime, I am counting down the weeks until the end of the semester and Christmas break. If anyone is interested, there are five more....

5. Get back down to (at least) my pre-pregnancy weight.Did that. :)

6. Get involved in some kind of theatre group and help out with at least one production.
Maybe next year. Or when the kids are in college....

7. Teach Bryn to read.Her favorite "game" this month is sounding out words to spell them. She also likes having me read her chapter books during naptime (when I should be studying...). She also loves "reading" books to Shay and Liam. I think this one has inherited my love of reading!!

8. Potty-train Shay.
We've had such an up-and-down journey on this. Bryn was done in a single day (at age 3 1/2), but Shay is much more of a process. Huh, it's like they're separate kids or something.... ;) Although she was doing great last month, she really seems to have lost interest lately. Right now she asks to go as a stall tactic at bedtime or naptime, and she has actually requested diapers over Pull-Ups for the last few days.

9. Frame our portraits.All family portraits have been framed. Next job is to put together our "Year Six" anniversary frame and frame Liam's cute 6-month portraits.

10. Finish up some of my murals.
Still working on Noah's Ark. And by "working," I mean "looking at occassionally."

11. Paint the kids' bathroom.This project is officially on hold.

12. Get Shay into her big girl room.
Achieved in January.

13. Breastfeed Liam.In addition to pumped bottles, Liam now eats rice and oatmeal cereal, bananas, apples, pears, green beans, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, and vanilla yogurt. He has a very strong preference for fruit over veggies, to the point where he actually gags himself if we give him veggies straight up and has even made himself throw up a couple of times. Luckily he loves rice and oatmeal cereal, so if we mix the veggies with cereal, he eats them with no problem. He eats a ton at each meal though--that kid is a bottomless pit!!

4 comments:

Suellen said...

I still read your blog - even though I'm not commenting. I just don't have as much prep (read: procrastination) time at school as I have in the past couple of years so I don't comment as much.

Andrea said...

I still read too. I'm just busy as well and so I skim all my friend's blogs and then close them to go to the next thing. :)

Ashley said...

I still read too! And, by the way, I can't believe you have a five-year-old!!! - Ashley :)

Jill said...

I read faithfully, and I'm not a grandparent ;) I just group all of my blogs together in Google reader for easier access, but harder commenting... But i do love the frequent updates and pictures!!! :) - Jill