Pages

Sunday, September 05, 2010

In Search of a Study Spot

With one thing and another, I did not get much of my grad work done during the week, and in short, I had a heap lot of homework to do today. I was actually really worried about getting it all done and submitted by the midnight deadline. (Don't worry, I did get it done before writing this blog.) I have learned that effective studying is darn near impossible to achieve with three kids clamoring for my attention, so around 11:00 this morning, I packed up a bag and headed out, in search of a location to study.

Since it was almost lunchtime, I decided that I should go somewhere to eat. Somewhere that I could sit, linger over my food undisturbed, read my assignments.... I then started having all these fond memories of college and late-night studying at Denny's. Lingering over my food? Sure. Undisturbed? Absolutely. And it would be a great trip down memory lane. So off I went, full of fond memories of my college friends.

Upon my arrival, I discovered my first mistake. Late nights at Denny's are ideal for college students because the place is basically empty. But apparently there are actually people who go there for Sunday brunch. So I actually had to wait for a table. Craziness! That was clearly not study time well spent. But I amused myself by contemplating how I'm just as tired at noon now as I was at midnight in college.....

Once I got settled in, I actually did get all my reading done while dining on my traditional platter of buffalo chicken strips. I also had an extreme confidence-building moment when my server, noting my textbook, binder full of notes, and the Butler t-shirt that I just happened to throw on today, asked me if I went to Butler. Um, no, I'm 31 years old and have 3 kids, thanks. But it was VERY flattering to be mistaken for a college student. :)

So I had a pretty good hour before running into two more problems. #1 - Denny's does not have WiFi, so I could not complete the rest of my assignments. #2 - my stomach does not handle buffalo chicken strips as well now as it did back when I was in college for real. Ugh.

I then decided to relocate to the Speedway library, which was just a couple of streets over. Upon arriving, though, I discovered that it is closed on Sundays. Grr. Back in the car, back to Brownsburg. I then headed to the Brownsburg library, which I knew from previous experience was open on Sundays.... and which I learned, upon arrival, was closed for Labor Day weekend.

I got back in the car, did some intense grumbling about how it was ridiculous that I couldn't actually find a library where I could study for my library classes, and drove to Starbucks, where I drowned my sorrows in a $5 frappucino, used their WiFi network for many hours, and did lots of productive work.

Ah, for the good old days of college, where all the distractions were of my own making!

3 comments:

Crissy said...

I always found Panera, Borders, and Barnes and Noble to be good study spots and have free wifi-even used to go on lunch breaks when I was in private practice. I would only go to Panera during off times though (ie not between 11-1 or 8-9).

Cathy said...

When you are Queen of your own library, you can make sure it's open on Sundays!

amypfan said...

Crissy - We must be on the same wavelength, because those were always some of my favorite grading spots! Unfortunately, they're a longer drive than the other places I mentioned, and last time I want to B&N, they didn't have anywhere I could plug in my laptop to recharge. Next time, though, it's worth the drive and I'm Panera-bound!

Cathy - No way! If everybody else is closed, I'm taking Sundays off too! ;)