Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Best-Loved Boys

I was reading a magazine article the other day that warned that around 5 or 6 years of age, kids are likely to start developing crushes. Really? Because Bryn has had crushes for.... well, forever. And I really noticed it in Shay over the summer as well, particularly at VBX. So maybe my children are just advanced, but each of them now has a list of "best-loved boys."

Bryn's "best boy" is, of course, her friend Christopher, as is evidenced here. A little over a year ago, she also developed a huge crush on a 13-year-old named Brenden who helps out in her Sunday school room. And there's also another little boy in her preschool class, Billy, who she talked about sometimes last year because he was so "funny," which is a very high compliment. This year she talks all the time about how "silly" he is (and she loves that "silly" and "Billy" rhyme), and she always tries to sit next to him during circle time, and we mommies even caught her winking at him on the playground today. Oh my....

By all of that is nothing compared to my brash little Shay. Immediately upon starting preschool, she decided that she like Grant. Please bear in mind that Shay is only 2 1/2 years old and one of the youngest in the class. Grant turned 5 right after the start of the school year (making him the oldest kid in the class), and Shay thought it was awesome that he had cookies shaped like dog bones at his in-class party. Clearly, it was love--at least on her part.

The next boy to catch Shay's eye was Alex, this cute little blondie who she loves to play with on the playground. I thought two crushes (thankfully both on very nice boys) was quite ample for the two-year-old's first month of school, but then Shay got wind of Bryn's crush on Billy. Apparently she thought that if Bryn liked Billy, well then, it must be the cool thing to do, so Shay should like him too, and she added him to her own "list." The other day, when she laid down for her nap, she told me that she "wanted to have a dream about Billy." Oh dear.

As a side note, please let me mention that all three of these boys were in Bryn's class last year (Grant for the last two years), and Shay didn't notice that any of the existed then. Nor did they notice her. I bring this up because I think this is pretty much going to be the way it's going to go from here on out..... sweet Bryn paves the way, then vivacious Shay sweeps in and steals all the boys' hearts. I think Ben and I have a rocky road ahead of us.... which brings me back to the scene on the playground today.

Billy left shortly after the winking incident, and Bryn was playing contentedly by herself on the top of a piece of playground equipment, singing, dancing, and just generally being a girlie-girl in her own little world. Shay, meanwhile, was running and screaming with the boys (Alex and Grant). After a while, they sat down and started playing in the rocks and jabbering away like kids do. I didn't catch the conversation, but it somehow led to Shay going over and giving Alex a big old hug. He got this huge grin, stood up, and threw a handful of celebratory pebbles in the air. You could practically hear him thinking, "Yeah! I got the girl!"

But then Shay gave him this disapproving little look, like either "Don't flaunt it!" or "I refuse to be tied down!" And she marched her little self over to Grant, said something in a conciliatory tone of voice, and, I kid you not, started giving him a backrub. Yes, my two-year-old gave her crush a backrub. Oh. My. Goodness.

And it gets better. Or worse, depending on your perspective. Alex exited to another part of the playground, Shay continued with the backrub, and Grant allowed himself to be won over. He grinned up at her (he was sitting on the ground), she smiled back down at him, and she leaned down and kissed him.

This was the point when all the mommies decided it was time to go home. So we all did, but there was much "Bye Grant!" "Bye Shay!" "Bye Alex!" going on. Sigh.

In the car on the way home, I pointed out to Shay that she had hugged one boy and kissed another. She did not seem to think this was an issue. I asked her which boy she liked best, and she replied, "I love them both!" At least Bryn only winked at one boy. Of course, that may be because Christopher went home before all the real romancing started.

I told Ben this whole story at dinner, and he about spit out his rice when I got to the backrub/kissing part. He turned to Shay and said, "You kissed a boy?!? No way! You do NOT kiss boys!" And then Bryn piped up from across the table and said, "Yes, Daddy! Shay can kiss boys if she wants to!" And the two of them got into a big debate about how Bryn thought it was okay for Shay to kiss boys, because after all, Shay liked to do it.... at which point Ben freaked out even more.... particularly when he learned that the reason Bryn was defending Shay was because Bryn, too, likes to kiss boys and didn't want him to prohibit her from the activity as well.

Did I blink and miss my daughters turning into teenagers?

3 comments:

Kathy said...

ha ha!!!

Anonymous said...

Hence the theory, "Blondes have more fun!!!!"

Andrea said...

Oh my! Maybe Ben is going to have to lock them up sooner than he thought! LOL