Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

On Becoming a Librarian: Part 1

Today is my first day of classes toward my MLIS degree. (That would be Masters of Library and Information Science, for you uneducation folks out there.) It was actually fairly anticlimactic, as both of my classes this semester are online and both had course materials posted as of last week. But in order to celebrate my official first day as a degree-seeking library student, I thought I'd do a post about the very first time that the idea of becoming a librarian ever entered my head.....

I was about nine or ten years old. We were living in our house in Dunlap, and we moved there right around my ninth birthday, so I'm guessing my age based on those context clues. :) I was getting some office supply or another out of the top drawer of my dad's desk when I ran across a pamphlet that he had picked up, presumably, with me in mind. It was entitled (something to the effect of) "Great Careers for People Who Love To Read." I certainly fit the bill, and I started looking through it.

I remember mostly noting that "author" and "teacher" were both listed, and as those were my top two career choices at the time (and through the next decade), I was pretty happy. The list also mentioned "journalist" and "editor," which were ranked somewhere lower on my own dream list as well. But sandwiched in there with the other entries I had expected to find was another career: librarian.

I don't know why I had never thought about a career in library services until then. Goodness knows that I had spent more time in libraries by my tenth birthday than some people spend in their entire lives. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that Dad actually picked up that brochure at a library during one of our many trips....

3 comments:

Joe said...

Yay! Woooo! Go Amy! =)

Grandpa said...

Actually, I bought that little book at a bookstore. It was apparent from the time you entered kindergarten that reading was your passion. Follow your heart!

Krysten said...

Very exciting! I'm starting on my own Master's degree on September 7! My degree will be in Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction. Ideally I would like to be a curriculum director and help teachers analyze their data and then come up with wonderful and interactive lessons to help their students improve even more! :)