Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Does A Body Good

This morning marked a full week since the onset of this pestilence, and both the kids and I were fully sick of staying at home. I spent all day yesterday on the couch and in bed getting my strength back, and that helped a lot. My stomach really did seem to be far more stable since getting a few days worth of medication in there. And besides, even the USDA says that salmonella poisoning is only supposed to last up to 7 days and darn it, it had been 7 days.

All of this went through my head when making the decision to leave the house this morning. But to be honest, the true motivator was that I really just wanted to see my friends. Last week, I missed out on getting to see two separate dear friends (neither of whom I had seen in over five years) due to this illness, and I didn't want to miss out again. I had made plans for this particular Monday to drive up to Fair Oaks Farms to meet up with my wonderful friend Kristen (who is a little over halfway through her pregnancy with her first child, a baby boy), and I refused to let any silly salmonella stop me.

Thankfully, Andrea and I had planned to make a date of it. Our BFF daughters were wild with excitement at the prospect of spending a whole day at the farm together, and Andrea even volunteered to drive my car for me, making as many pit stops as necessary along the way (which turned out to be zero).

It ended up being just a perfect day. The weather was gorgeous--about 80 and sunny. The kids couldn't get enough of all the different play areas and kept running from one to another, having a blast at all of them. We grown-ups were able to sit in a sun and get caught up, which was wonderful. This was the first of all the times we've been up there that we haven't even made it to check out the indoor exhibits, which they usually love--but the kids were having so much fun with all the outdoor stuff that we just ran out of time!

And the food, oh, the food. I was initially more than a little nervous about this, since I haven't really been able to eat much for the past week, and even that has been bland foods only. And the food at Fair Oaks is far from bland--every last thing is rich and amazingly delicious. But I split a grilled cheese with my kids, and that stayed in okay. So then I got us some yogurt, which I also intended to split, but I got the lion's share of when they ran off to the playground. And even though I usually don't really care for yogurt, this was about the most amazing thing I had ever eaten. After that, I decided that caution be damned, I was going to have some ice cream too, because who knew when I'd get to eat something that good again? That final step did prove to be a little too rich for me and I did have a few stomach troubles, but not until after I had safely made the return to Indianapolis, and frankly, it was pretty much worth it.

Let me just say that it's a good thing for our family's budget that it is Kristen, not me, who lives near the farm. Because if it was me, I'd be eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner there every day. Yum. Fair Oaks Farms--does a body good.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

No kidding! I'm already craving the grilled cheese and yogurt again. I have to admit that I am not really overly impressed with their ice cream. I mean, it's good. It's just that their grilled cheese and yogurt are SO much better than any other kind I've ever had and their ice cream is just on par with the really good ice cream I've had before. Anyway, all in all, totally worth neither kid getting a real nap. :)