Pages

Thursday, June 03, 2010

May in Review - Amy

I have to admit that I'm less pleased with my resolution progress in May than in previous months. I could offer up the excuse that it was an exceptionally busy month with three active kids and end-of-the-year everythings, but I'm still kind of disappointed in my lack of progress in certain areas. Here's the review:

1. Read the Bible.
I'm in line with my chronological reading plan. This puts me in 1 Kings, 2 Chronicles, and assorted Psalms and Proverbs.

2. Read at least one pleasure reading book per month.I finished up Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper, which I actually liked even better the second time around (which is really saying something, since I loved it the first time). I also read the young adult book Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli, which I didn't like very much while reading but did enjoy thinking about afterwards.

3. Join some kind of musical group and perform with them.I've got some sheet music but haven't actually played it yet. At this rate, I'll be old and gray before I achieve this goal.

4. Blog daily.Still on track here.

5. Get back down to (at least) my pre-pregnancy weight.
I lost 3 pounds this month. This puts me at 39 pounds less than my top pregnancy weight, 16 pounds less than my weight during last school year, and 9 pounds less than I was after my weight-loss efforts last summer, immediately before finding out I was pregnant. Not to sound incredibly greedy, but I was hoping for more. Apparently my post-baby weight-loss phase is done and I'm going to have to start working a lot harder to lose more. According to my BMI chart, I still need to lose 10 more to be at an ideal weight for my height, so that's my basic goal.

6. Get involved in some kind of theatre group and help out with at least one production.Still no progress here.

7. Teach Bryn to read.I bought Bryn a preschool activity book, and we've been working through it. She absolutely loves it. She learned to read the word "up" the other day and was soooo proud of herself. We're working on having her read the letters of words aloud often, and I also have her practice writing by copying words that I write out for her.

8. Potty-train Shay.Apparently Shay thinks that "going potty" means just sitting on it..... as in, I sit her on the potty, nothing comes out, and she still thinks that she has accomplished something. Hmmm..... I took her to the store yesterday and let her pick out her own first package of big girl underwear. We have VBX (which other churches call VBS) next week, so we won't try anything until after that, but at least we're moving in the right direction, slowly but surely.

9. Frame our portraits.
Finished in March. I've got some other framing projects in mind, but knowing how this has gone historically, I might have to just make them resolutions for next year.....

10. Finish up some of my murals.The two that I started last month are actually birthday presents for Bryn and Shay's friend Hannah. They would be completely done, if it weren't for 1) running out of brown paint and having to haul all 3 kids to the store to get more and 2) Bryn insisting on "helping" me with some of the painting. They should be done soon though. I've really been enjoying working on them. It's a nice breather during naptime, and I look forward to starting more when these are done.

11. Paint the kids' bathroom.Nada.

12. Get Shay into her big girl room.Achieved in January.

13. Breastfeed Liam.He's still on 100% breastmilk, although he's really not nursing at all. I'm down to pumping only 4 or 5 times a day, which really doesn't seem like that much of an imposition on my daily life after the 8 or 9 that I started at. He's a champ with the bottle and is growing like a weed, and I've got 189 bags of milk (5-6 oz each) frozen, so we clearly have enough to keep him fed for a good long while. So while this has really not worked out like I had originally hoped or planned, I'm still going to call it a success.

Here's hoping to actually achieve something on #s 3, 6, and 11 next month, as I'm getting really discouraged by having to say "no progress yet" about them every month. I'd also really like to have more measurable progress on 7, 8, and 10, as well as holding steady with good progress on the rest. So wish me luck!

No comments: