Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

"Green" Detergent Recipes

About a month ago, I attended a women's event at my church. Amidst tons of other fun things that evening, I picked up recipes for "green" laundry and dish detergents. We also got to bring home samples of these items, and they worked so well that I decided to try making them. All the ingredients were easy to find (and pretty cheap), and making them was so easy that I'm now hooked. So many people have asked me for the recipes since then that I've been emailing them out like crazy and I figured it might just be faster to post them here. Enjoy! :)

Dishwasher Detergent
Mix equal parts of:
20 Mule Team Borax
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

Place 2 Tbsp in your dishwasher detergent compartment.

Also, you can add vinegar to the "jet dry" dispenser to help remove mineral build-up.


Super Gentle Homemade Laundry Soap
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 bar Kirks Castile Soap
1/2 cup Oxiclean Powder (or generic equivalent)

Slice soap into strips and run through food processor to make "soap beads," or shred soap with a cheese grater. Combine soap beads, Oxiclean, Borax, and Washing Soda.

Use 1-2 Tbsp for small loads and 3-4 Tbsp for large loads.
Use 1-2 Tbsp in HE washers.

Also, you can add 1/4 cup white vinegar to the softener dispenser because vinegar is a natural softener.

No comments: