Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Last Day of School

Today was Bryn's last day of school for the year. Sitting there and watching her final program this morning, I felt like the entire school year had passed in the blink of an eye. It seemed like just days ago that I was sitting in that same pew, watching her end of the year program last year.

Last year, she stood and sat at the appropriate times, but that was about it. She didn't sing any of the songs or do any of the motions, even though she often did them at home. At several points, she lifted her dress over her head, revealing that yes, she was 3 1/2 years old and still wearing diapers. Last year, she was still my shy little girl.

This year, I purposely put her longest dress on her, just in case there was a repeat of the dress-lifting, but there wasn't. She sang and danced her little heart out. Watching her compared to some of the younger kids in the class, I could hardly believe how far she's come in just a year.

Some days, she's still my baby. But then there will be a moment, a twist of the head, a particularly profound one-liner, and I get this glimpse of the girl she's growing up to be.

Oh, what a miracle is she.

1 comment:

SuperSillyAunt said...

I couldn't see her from where I was sitting. She did such a good job!