Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Glee Thirteen

I have literally been trying all day long to upload a video of Liam, but apparently Blogger hates me today. So I'll put that on hold right now and instead, in order to maintain my daily blogging goal, I give you....

Thursday Thirteen: 13 Reasons I Love "Glee"

(WARNING: much cheesiness is about to ensue. I know that some of this makes me sound like a pathetic, over-the-top devotee. I'm okay with that. It's been at least five years since I cared enough about any television show in order to watch it regularly, so I figure I'm definitely due for some fan-aticism.)

1. "Cheesy teen singing and dancing" and "cult classic" are both equally accurate descriptors of this show.

2. Variety. Nowhere else can you find Billy Joel, Aerosmith, the Crash Test Dummies, and Les Miserables existing side-by-side.

3. Even a skeptic like Ben has to get on board with the episode "Dream On," which guest starred Neil Patrick Harris (who I will always think of as Doogie Houser, but Ben loves as Dr. Horrible).

4. Speaking of "Dream On," it was directed by Joss Whedon, creator of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Angel," and "Firefly"..... which makes him sheer legend in our house.

5. Male vocals. I love male harmonizing, which is probably why I'm such a big fan of Butler's a capella group Out of the Dawg House. Glee's versions of "For a Girl" and "Beth" made me tear up a little.

6. The recent Rachel/Shelby duets. I usually feel lukewarm at best about female duets, but their voices are just perfection together. "On My Own" gave me chills, and "Poker Face" was even better.

7. Brittany's one-liners. "I'm pretty sure my cat is reading my diary."

8. I never know who to root for. Rachel, Finn, Puck, Quinn, and now Jesse... who should go with who? Not to mention Will, Emma, and Terry (who is an utterly hatable character, yet had a totally justified diatribe in "Vitamin C" last season). And Artie and Tina.

9. Quinn and Puck (and Brittany and Santana to a lesser extent) are set up as complete stereotypes at the beginning of the show, only to allow us to watch them evolve through the rest of the show.

10. Mike Chang. I have no idea why, but I really love this character. He rarely ever gets lines, and we have basically no backstory on him, but I just love him. He's a great dancer, and he has the best facial expressions in the background. I keep hoping that they will develop his character further.

11. Who remembered Madonna having so many great songs? While I could have done without the whole "Like A Virgin" montage (seriously, folks, my kids watch this show with me sometimes), all the outfits in the background during the "Borderline/Open Your Heart" mashup cracked me up.

12. As one who works in education in central Indiana, I'm obliged to love the references to Carmel High School as the big rival. Yes, this is actually a reference to the local Carmel HS.

13. The flash mob in "Dream On." Awesome.

You know what's notable absent from this list? Sue Sylvester. While she totally makes the show for some people, I'd be fine without her. Not really a fan.

As a former Performing Arts Center manager and show choir devotee, I love this show. Ben is predicting a surge of show choir participation and popularity a few years from now as a result, as the younger kids watching this show get into high school. I'm all for that.

For those of you who have sat through this little tribute with me even though you have no interest in the show, thank you.... I promise I will continue working on uploading that video of Liam. :)

For the rest of you adult "Glee" fans, weigh in on this. What are your favorites? Please tell me I'm not alone here....

6 comments:

Jill said...

I also watch it for lots of reasons, but my #1 reason is the hottness of Mr. Schu. HELLOOO!!!! Love him! I'd join the show choir if he was the teacher :)

Cathy said...

I also Love it! The humor reminds me of Friends, I'm sure if I was back in college, I'd have all my friends over again ordering pizza. Probably we're drawn to it, Becuase we were those misfit musical geeks. I love their character development too. I miss Terry, but I hear tell she's coming back soon. But Sue cracks me up, and I especially love the little peeks as we gain insight into her sensitive side. "What is that smell? It's not Fear, it's Coffee!"
The whole show is awesome.

Eric Willman said...

I must sadly admit that I too love this show. I have never been into the whole "Teen drama" genre -- even as a kid, I never watched shows like 21 jump street or 90210 -- but watching a mini-musical every week -- hooked.

Les Miserables is probably my favorite musical. When Mr. Shu and Bryan Ryan (Neil Patrick Harris) decided to both audition for the part of Jean Valjean, I was ready for some cool Les Mis mashups. Sadly, neither one of them sang anything from Les Mis. Shelby and Rachel's "On my Own" was very good, but just left me wanting more.

Carrie said...

Oh, there are so many, but one that really sticks out in my mind is the episode where Rachel fell in love with Mr. Schu singing "Endless Love" and then he broke into a mash up that included "Don't Stand So Close To Me" and one other song. I cracked up. And, the chemistry between Mr. Schu and Emma. LOVE IT! Oh, and the references to his high school days...line up pretty much with when I was in high school (and also make me feel kinda old actually, but it's still fun!)

yup said...

WAIT A SECOND! It's IS a reference to Carmel? The other day there was a mis-spoken line when someone said "Car-mel" which made me think they got it from the uber-rich (irony, no?) NorCal coastal town.

ugh. i miss you.

amypfan said...

Yes--Apparently producer Ryan Murphy went to high school locally at Warren Central, whose big show choir rivals back in the day were Carmel HS, so it's a reference to that. Funny, no?