Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Family Camp (Part 2)

Other favorite moments of this past Saturday at Tecumseh Family Camp...

This may sound silly, but one of my favorite parts was eating in the dining hall with the kids. Bryn was so excited to go in early and be a "hopper" with me (meaning set the table, although she actually did it while hopping--lol!). I don't think I've ever heard them use so many "pleases" and "thank yous" at the table. They drank big glasses of water without so much as murmuring about apple juice. They were excited to clean up their own dishes at the end of the meal. But the very, very best part was how excited they got about singing grace with the whole dining hall of people at the beginning of the meal. We use many of the Tecumseh graces at our own house, and Bryn's absolute favorite is the "Johnny Appleseed" blessing. As we were setting our family's table for dinnertime, my normally shy little girl asked me if she could ask one of the weekend coordinators if we could sing that one for dinner. Of course I said yes, and so did he when she asked. She was absolutely thrilled to sing it, and Shay recognized it immediately and said, "Mommy, that our special song!" I melted.


Back when I actually worked at camp, I never really cared about the mini-farm. I could count on one hand the amount of times I went to see it, and most of those were during staff training weeks. Then again, my cabins of 14 and 15 year old girls didn't really care about pigs and chickens. My 2 and 4 year old daughters do. The mini-farm has been a huge hit with them during each of our last two visits. Here's Shay making friends with some of the more recent additions.
After our trail rides and time at the mini-farm, we relaxed for a while on the river pavillion. The girls chowed down on fruit snacks and played carpetball, and I cuddled Tecumseh's smallest camper.

As I mentioned in my last post, we took the kids up to see the suspension bridge over the lake in the afternoon. They had a great time looking out at the lake, and Ben had a great time making them squeal by swinging it. :)
Ever since we told Bryn that we were going to camp, she has been asking for the "silly songs." We actually sing Tecumseh songs (chapel, flagpole, campfire, you name it) all the time at our house, but Mommy and Daddy just never seem to achieve the same level of goofiness as the counselors up front at campfires. So from dinnertime on, Bryn asked, "Is it time for songs yet?" about every two minutes. When the campfire started, she was thrilled.... and we were hard-pressed to keep her from joining the staff up front. Here she is with "thumbs up, elbows back, knees bent, toes together, rump out, head back, tongue out," singing her little heart out."
All in all, such a great day! Can't wait to make a return trip on Labor Day weekend. And Bryn is already begging to be sent to Day Camp when she turns 5!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I don't have time to read this right now but the pic of you and Liam is very cute. You look really good Amy! (I also LOVE your superman shirt...)

Cathy said...

I want to Go too!!!!

SuperSillyAunt said...

These blogs have been great! What great family fun :)