Pages

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Remembering the BSC

A dear friend of mine, Katie, is a sixth grade teacher and an aspiring school librarian. She has recently started a blog which reviews young adult literature. Since I must admit that YA lit is one of this English teacher's guilty pleasures, I have been loving reading her blog and have been using it to compile a list of "light reads" (none of which I've actually gotten to yet, but I do have the best of intentions).

Recently she posted about the joys that the Babysitters Club brought to all our childhoods and Ann M. Martin's plans to re-release the series for a new generation of kids to enjoy. Her reminiscences pretty much made me want to run down the basement and dig out my old BSC books. (Thus far I have refrained from doing so.)

Best of all, though, is the website that she stumbled across, entitled What Claudia Wore. If you want a trip down memory lane while being able to have a hearty laugh at what your elementary school self thought was cool, you will have to check it out.

Melissa, remember the time you read all of Goodbye, Stacy, Goodbye while waiting to go to the pool? And I remember packing dozens of BSC books for every car trip. Along with Sweet Valley High. And Nancy Drew. I know my father is probably twitching as he reads this, as he wanted me to read more challenging things even back then, so he's probably horrified by the idea of my adult self returning to such juvenile time-wasters. Alicia is likely rolling her eyes and thanking her lucky stars that she never read anything so girly or silly. And I kind of shudder at the thought of any of my other teacher friends (or former students) reading these confessions. Like I said, it's a guilty pleasure. Okay, so each series pretty much had a formula that every book in the series followed, and I could zip through each of them in an hour or two, but somehow they were still completely lovable. Ah, the memories. :)

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Ahh yes, Sweet Valley High was my downfall. I LOVED them. BSC was a bit after me. Did you ever read Taffy Sinclair? She was my FAV in Elementary school.

Andrea said...

OMG I so loved the BSC! I can't remember any of the plots but I remember that Claudia was Sarah's favorite character. Mine was Dawn. :)

Krysten said...

I, too, loved Babysitter's Club. I actually took most of my old books to school with me and 2 years ago I had a student who got really into them (normally a very reluctant reader) and read at least 3 or 4 from the series!

Andrea said...

Hmm, I am looking at the new book and I don't see a Dawn in there. Am I remembering her name from a different series? I swear it was BSC...

amypfan said...

Andrea - No, you're right. Dawn just didn't move to Stoneybrook until a few books into the series.
(How sad is it that I still know that?)

Melissa said...

YES! I remember!