Pages

Friday, April 02, 2010

March in Review - Amy

Time for my monthly check-in to see how I'm doing with this year's resolutions...

1. Read the Bible.
Largely thanks to the many hours I spend parked in my rocking chair with the boy, I'm completely on track with my reading plan. I'm about halfway through Judges right now.

2. Read at least one pleasure reading book per month.
I actually read several this month. No "heavy lifting" due to the sleep deprivation, but several easy, quick reads. Most notable is Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen, which I just started a few days ago and am only halfway through, but am really enjoying so far.

3. Join some kind of musical group and perform with them.
Still no progress on this one, although it's becoming more possible now that I'm starting to get my air supply back. :)

4. Blog daily.
Given my weird baby hours, I don't think it's actually been once on each calendar date, but I do think I've posted an equal number of times as there have been days, if that makes any sense. I would call that particularly impressive, as most of my typing these days (including this) has been done one-handed while holding Liam.

5. Get back down to (at least) my pre-pregnancy weight.
Check! Unbelievable, I know. I gained 30 pounds during pregnancy, and by the time Liam was 2 weeks old, I had already lost 25 of those. I can partially thank the flu that I got when he was a week old for that, and nursing also helps to burn those calories (possibly why I never lost the weight with Shay...). The following 2 weeks have taken care of the final 5 pounds. I'm excited to see where I might end up once I'm allowed to start exercising (6 weeks postpartum)!

6. Get involved with some kind of theatre group and help out with at least one production.
I don't exactly have the most flexible of schedules these days, as I am currently functioning as a mama moo cow for Liam, but hopefully I will have more adaptability in the next few months. Anybody know a local theatre group they'd like to recommend?

7. Teach Bryn to read.
Not much progress on this one this month. She's learned to spell a few more words and really enjoys writing them, but we're not progressing as fast as I expected. With everything else going on, that's probably not so surprising to anyone but me!

8. Potty-train Shay.
Nope. We're back to 2 kids in diapers all the time, and now 3 at night. The good people at Pampers must love us.

9. Finish up some of my murals.
Zero progress here. Maybe next month....

10. Frame our portraits.
Finished last month!

11. Paint the kids' bathroom.
Are you kidding? It would be a miracle if I managed to clean it....

12. Get Shay into her big girl room.
Moved in January!

13. Breastfeed Liam.
Not going so well. He sort of hates nursing. He keeps pulling off and crying (and he hardly ever cries normally), and he does this hyperventilating thing that kind of freaks me out. So mostly I'm pumping every 3 hours and giving him bottles, with an occassional nursing session thrown in there when he's awake at the appropriate time and I'm feeling brave. While this is time-consuming and hardly ideal, he's obviously thriving. At his most recent doctor's visit, we learned that he's up to 9 pounds and 14 ounces--which is a pound and a half weight gain in a mere 2 weeks! Plus our deep freeze is rapidly filling up with bags of frozen breastmilk, so I have high hopes that I won't have to continue this pumping thing for a full year but will still be able to give him the benefit of breatmilk for that long. This isn't exactly how I had hoped things would go, but we're making it work. So I'd give this one about half a check.

Besides all of that, we can check off childbirth, Mohs surgery, and the GRE in March, so all in all, I'd say it was pretty productive. :)

1 comment:

SlyGly said...

This is AMAZING progress!