Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

April in Review - Amy

Time for that pesky monthly check-in on my resolutions for the year....

1. Read the Bible.
I'm still on track with my chronological reading plan. I've done a lot of Psalms recently, mixed in with both Samuels, and am now in Chronicles.

2. Read at least one pleasure reading book per month.
I finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and really liked it. I also sped through and enjoyed The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher. I am currently reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (one of my favorite authors). It's actually my second time through the book, but my MOPS book club is reading it this month, and I thought that was a good excuse for a refresher.

3. Join some kind of musical group and perform with them.
Just tonight, I connected with a friend to get more information about the community band she's in. She's going to let me check out the sheet music they're currently playing so I can see just how out of practice I am.

4. Blog daily.
Yay me! I think I'm starting to run out of things to say. :)

5. Get back down to (at least) my pre-pregnancy weight.
Bryn told me the other day that my "belly is starting to get little." At the end of last month, I was at my pre-pregnancy weight. This month, I lost an additional 6 pounds, bringing my grand weight-loss total to 36 pounds. Woo-hoo!

6. Get involved in some kind pf theatre group and help out with at least one production.
No progress here yet.

7. Teach Bryn to read.
She has learned how to spell a few more words but has been more interested in other things. Just this morning, though, she again started lamenting that "But Mom, I don't know how to read those words." So maybe she's about to renew her interest? Anyway, with the end of the school year just around the corner, I should soon have more time to work with her.

8. Potty-train Shay.
We've done a lot of talking about it this month, and she's starting to get interested. I foresee a summer of nakie Shay ahead.

9. Frame our portraits.
Finished in March. I've got about half the prints I want to start a bonus projrct in this area.

10. Finish up some of my murals.
Started working on two of them. Photos to follow at a later date.

11. Paint the kids' bathroom.
Following my self-depricating comment last month about how I didn't even have time to clean it, I purged and organized the closet, cabinet, and drawers in there. I even went so far as to move the paint into the cabinet. :) I went out and purchased masking tape for edging, but any use of said tape, not to mention actual painting, has yet to occur.

12. Get Shay into her big girl room.
Achieved in January. Seriously, I can't believe I still haven't posted pictures on here.

13. Breastfeed Liam.
We've settled into a workable pattern of pumping and bottling, so he's still a 100% breastmilk baby. He actually nurses about once a day and still doesn't like that very much, although he's fighting me on it a lot less. I'm up to 119 bags of breastmilk in the freezer, and he's doing great with his weight gain and is even starting to look a little chubby. So I'll stay with my estimation of about a half a checkmark on this one.

I haven't totally finished balancing our family budget for April yet, but I know that we're going to be able to move more money than I expected into savings at the end of the month--yay! I submitted my application to a masters program in school counseling, only to decide that's probably not actually what I want to do with my life. More on that in another post, but I'm currently working on a grad application in a rather different area--library science. This month also held a partial spring clean of our house and preparations for Liam's dedication at our church, which will occur this weekend.

It's funny--most of the time I don't feel like I'm really accomplishing anything except picking up the kids' toys over and over and over again, but when I do this check-in at the end of the month, I'm usually pretty proud of myself. I guess I'm making more progress than I realize. Here's hoping that I can keep moving forward on these goals!

No comments: