Pages

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

William David

I am pleased to announce the birth of William David Pfanschmidt Meyaard, aka Baby Liam.

He was born last night (March 1) at 5:57 pm, following my 6:15 am induction. As you can see here, he weighed in at 8 lbs 2oz. His sisters, who were both induced after their due dates, were 7 lb 11 oz (Bryn) and 7 lb 12 oz (Shay), so we're thinking that I must just grow boys bigger and it's a good thing that we went in after him early! He measured 20.5 inches, which put him exactly in between his two big sisters (Bryn was 20, Shay was 21).

Although you can't see it in many of these pictures because of his hat, he's got a full head of dark hair. He also has beautiful (can I say that about a boy?) blue eyes. I think he looks like Ben, Ben thinks he looks like his great-grandpa Meyaard, and Bryn thinks he looks like her (which he actually does, minus her long eyelashes).
I was very, VERY glad to see him finally arrive, since as a grand finale to his weeks of injuring me from the inside, he decided to be rather feisty during delivery. His sister Shay arrived less than 4 hours after the start of her induction, and everyone told me that based on that, my third child was likely to just "fall out." He had other plans, though, and kept me in labor for almost 12 hours. After my experience with Shay coming so fast (basically 2 contractions and there she was), I had decided that I wouldn't really need an epidural this time around. That, my friends, was a very foolish decision. There were a lot of hours of labor and a lot of pushing to endure before he finally came out. Without scaring anyone away, I will just say that should we go for baby #4 someday, there will definitely be an epidural, possibly the minute that we check into the hospital.
I did end up with second degree lacerations, which is really not that bad considering the fourth degree ones I had with Bryn. Like his sister and his daddy, Liam has a large head (somewhere in the 90s for percentile), but blessedly not the 99th percentile like Bryn. All that being said, recovery is going well and we're both going to be fine.

My wonderful sister Kristin is staying with the girls while Ben and I are at the hospital, and she brought the girls to the hospital to meet Liam last night. They were thrilled to see their baby brother and adored him immediately. Our biggest problem was them fighting over who got to hold him first, and they both decided that they can't wait for him to go home so they can "hold him and play with him every day."




Here's big sister Bryn, who will be quick to tell you that she already knows how to be a big sister and is going to teach Shay all about it. She is so awesome and gentle with him already and can't get enough of holding her baby brother.

And here's Shay checking out the new baby of the family. She's wearing the same "I'm the big sister" shirt that Bryn wore two years ago when coming to the hospital to meet her. Shay was initially a little overwhelmed by Mommy's absence yesterday, followed by the evening trip to the hospital, and she just wanted to be held and cuddled herself for a while. She was also scared by the "owie" (IVs) in Mommy's hand (which honestly kind of freaked out Mommy too), but she was a champ and took it all in stride and now adores her baby brother as well.



Liam is a sleeping champ already, for which this Mommy is incredibly grateful. He clearly inherited this from his daddy's side of the family. Both Ben and I actually got decent nights of sleep last night (although I think his "bed" was less comfortable than mine!). Liam is now sleeping the morning away as well, and I hope to soon join him in a little nap. The only difficulty so far (meaning since childbirth ended) is that he doesn't want to eat at all. He's been spitting up some fluids, so we can't really tell if he's just got some gunk in there from being born or if he just doesn't understand about nursing. I'm going to see the lactation consultant in a little bit, so hopefully that will help. Of course, he'll have to actually wake up to eat, so that might be a challenge. :)
Anyway, I'm off to attempt a shower, call some friends, see a lactation consultant, take a nap, and oh yeah, recover from childbirth, so I'll sign off for now. More pictures to come as we get to know our little man better! Thanks so much to everyone for all the thoughts and prayers over the last few days and weeks!

15 comments:

Corie said...

Congrats to everyone! Happy to hear all went well. What a cute little guy. Am I a good guesser or what? Those boys tend to run big. Guess we won't see you at dance!!!

SuperSillyAunt said...

He's so beautiful! I can say that about a boy since he's still a baby right? Congratulations to you all! The sister pictures made me a little misty...awww!!!

William said...

Nice to meet you William.

Jill said...

He is so precious! I'm glad that it all went ok, even if it wasn't all that pleasant (mental note - epidural is always a good idea.. will keep that in mind!). And it is funny that Ben thought he looked like Grandpa Meyaard, because that is exactly what I said when i got the text photo last night!

Kathy said...

congrats!

Carrie said...

He IS beautiful Amy, and I am just super impressed that you are able to blog less than 24 hours after giving birth! Congrats to you guys, I am so excited to meet him - that is when you finally decide you want to have visitors :).

Melissa said...

Congrats!

Cathy said...

We're so happy for you. That one of all of you and the sissy pictures made me get a little Teary-eyed. God Bless you All!

Elizabeth said...

Awesome! Great pictures too! Glad to know that you are both doing well!

kristin said...

Where have you been hiding your cape and boots? I cannot believe you managed to blog from the hospital after just having a baby!! I'm going to start calling you Superwoman. You all look great. The pics of the girls with their little brother are so sweet. Hope you get lots of rest and can't wait to meet the newest member of your family.

Tina said...

Congratulations Amy! What a beautiful family!

Moonwatcher said...

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you and the whole family! And now, when's Bryn having her babies (or has she forgotten about her pregnancy?)? LOTS OF LOVE!!!!!

Andrea said...

OMG Amy - no drugs while being induced?!? You are one crazy lady, but I still love ya. ;) Congrats - he's beautiful and I love the pics with him and his proud big sisters. Too cute!

Andrea said...

I should say that all the pics look cute (and you look amazing!) - there is just something extra sweet about an older sibling seeing their new baby for the first time. :)

SlyGly said...

Congrats! It's going to be fun to watch him grow up on the blog!