Pages

Sunday, March 07, 2010

This Isn't Helping

So the days and weeks of recovery from childbirth are rough no matter what. Anyone who has been through this knows what I'm talking about. There's the bleeding. And the minimalistic sleep patterns. And getting the hang of nursing. And the aching legs and stomach and every other part of the body that was involved in pushing the kid out. And in my case, getting the other kids acclimated to the new baby.

As if all of that isn't enough, now I'm sick too. I started having really bad stomachaches last night, which I tried to tell myself were just due to my uterus shrinking back to a normal size. But then I started getting sick out both ends, which is definitely NOT a side effect of delivery. What this boils down to is that I seem to have caught a flu/stomach bug from some of our friends. My kids seem totally fine, and I'm assuming that I only got it because my immune system has obviously been through the wringer lately. But just let it be said, getting sick while dealing with stitches from second degree lacerations is NOT a good time. Nor is nursing while fearing that I will vomit on my newborn son. Our friends assure us that it's just a 24-hour bug though, so I'm hopeful that soon the fever will recede and I'll be able to just deal with normal post-partum stuff.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

oh my! Good luck. I do hope that it's a 24 hour thing...that's what I've been hearing has been going around too. I can't imagine having it with a newborn though. I hope tomorrow gets better!

Suellen said...

BOO!!!!!! I hope you get feeling better soon. Alicia and I were talking tonight about how we are truly lousy friends - having not brought you and food or even met your son yet. We would like to remedy this soon.

We're not really sure what your schedule is like now that Liam is here, so if there is a time that you really need help, let us know and we will do the best we can to accommodate. If not, we'll just get in touch with you soon. (And FEEL BETTER!)

Maria said...

I hope you feel better! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's just a 24 hour bug.

Andrea said...

Ick! Feel better!!!