Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Blessed

I've been reflecting today on the myriad of blessings in our lives. For our Thursday Thirteen, I'd like to share just a few of them, listed in no particular order:

1. Both a mother and a mother-in-law who have been willing to put aside their own schedules to come and spend time with us, getting to know their new grandson and helping us during this time of adjustment.

2. My amazing husband, who goes above and beyond in every way.

3. Three beautiful, healthy children.

4. A quick recovery and renewed health after a long and challenging pregnancy.

5. The gorgeous weather that allows my kids to play outside and makes us all feel rejuvenated and renewed.

6. Our wonderful friends, both local and at a distance, who have sent cards, gifts, emails, and well wishes of all sorts to welcome Liam to the world.

7. Our church family, who have provided us with so many delicious meals that our deep freeze is now overflowing with bounty.

8. Three consecutive nights of good sleep (compliments of Nana Helen), which make me feel almost human again.

9. Liam's continued growth. He continues to eat well (albeit mostly pumped milk from a bottle, but he's doing great with that), and he's becoming more alert every day.

10. Bryn and Shay's love for their baby brother. I just love watching them with him. This afternoon Bryn put on a show for him with his stuffed animals, and while I'm sure that he didn't get much out of it, it absolutely warmed my heart. Both girls love to "help" give him bottles and want to know his whereabouts at all times.

11. Our slowly-stabilizing financial status. We've paid off all our debts except for our house. We actually made money on the sale of Ben's old car and the purchase of the new-to-us van. We'll still have some money left over from our federal tax return after paying off our state tax return. Even without me working this year, we've been able to pay all our bills and even add a tiny bit to our savings. Especially in these hard times, I'm so grateful for what we have.

12. Our support network of family. Even though most of our family is at a distance, they've all been able to share in Liam's birth with us. I'm looking forward to seeing both my sister and my sister-in-law this weekend, and the mothers have been amazing about helping with our childcare needs, both in the last two weeks and in the coming weeks.

13. While there are a million items on my "to do" list that haven't been touched since Liam arrived (thank you notes being the at the top of that list), the many hours that I have spent in this rocking chair while nursing/pumping have provided me with time to do things that I would otherwise never get to do. I've gotten to actually watch some TV (very rare for me), and I've spent time reading books that have been on the shelf for way too long. It's been nice to do some things that I enjoy and would not have made time for on my own.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I was also VERY Thankful for your MIL yesterday as she entertained Sam and allowed you and I to have some actual conversation! That was my most relaxed lunch date with both in A Long Time! Thanks Helen!!!