Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

The Gift Outside My Door

Now that Bryn is 4, she has largely given up naps. She only sleeps one day a week or less, but I still make her do "naptime" every day. This largely translates into "quiet time." She knows that she is to stay largely in her room (unless she needs to potty or get something out of the upstairs playroom) and that she is not to wake up Mommy or Shay. Luckily for me, she loves to play on her own, and she'd be happy amusing herself in her room for far longer than I ask her to each day. I have often feared that this little tradition of ours might change once the baby comes if he cries during "naptime," but for the time being, Mommy needs a nap (or at least some down time) to get through the day.

Often, when I wake up from naps, I find some kind of little gift from Bryn outside my door. Usually it is a picture that she has drawn for me and wants me to see as soon as I get up. She's a very good girl and has gotten in the habit of leaving her gifts outside my door, as so not to wake me up or disturb me during quiet time.

Today, however, when I opened my door after about an hour of laying there and getting beaten up by the baby (and thus being unable to sleep), I found a bag hanging on my doorknob. And what was in the bag? A diaper. A poopy diaper.

Yes, folks, that's right. Bryn had pooped in her diaper, taken it off, cleaned herself up, put the diaper in a trash bag, left it for me to dispose of, put on clean underwear, and gone on with her playing.

Kid, if you are old enough to change your own diaper, you are old enough to not be wearing them anymore!

In fairness, she only wears diapers at naptime and at night, and my friends in my moms' group assure me that it is perfectly normal for this to continue for several years (some of them with 7-year-olds still engage in the overnight diaper!) after daytime potty training. Lately, I haven't even been putting Bryn in a diaper at naptime, since she sleeps so rarely and is perfectly fine going potty by herself. But she does need one at night, since she is such a deep sleeper that she doesn't wake up when she needs to go. I only put one on her today because she has been up since 4:30 this morning and I was hoping for a nice, deep nap for her. Obviously that didn't pan out, but I do now have a bag of poop to show for my efforts.....

2 comments:

Ragfield said...

Now that's funny.

Krysten said...

I've always wanted to bring you a bag of poop and now it's easier for me than ever! Can't wait to see you again! :)