Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

38 Weeks

Today was my last OB appointment (theoretically) before delivery. Unfortunately, it didn't contain much news.

* I'm still dilated to 3 centimeters. Maybe 3 1/2, my OB said. Not very encouraging, as I was at 5 for about a month before we induced Shay.

* I'm still effaced at 70%. No progress since last week.

* No other signs that this kid is going to come on his own.

Oddly enough, the only encouraging sign is that I woke up with a monster migraine today. I haven't had one of those since the very beginning of the third trimester. When I mentioned this to my OB, she said that sometimes women get killer headaches right before they go into labor as a result of their dropping hormones. So that might be it. Or it might just be that I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep last night in spite of the Ambien, and my hours of laying there miserable made my head hurt. Knowing my like, that second one is probably it.

But we are officially set up for an induction beginning at 6:00 am on March 1. We've got childcare lined up and everything. While I'm still very disappointed at not going into labor naturally (at all, ever, in 3 full-term pregnancies), I have to admit that this induction date is providing the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel" and motivating me to get keep going every day, because now I know that the end is actually in sight. So t-minus 6 days and counting....

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I hear you on the disappointment about being induced again, but hey, what can you do? In the end, it is far more important that the babies are out and healthy than how they came into this world. Oh and I totally agree about the light at the end of the tunnel thing. A date is a wonderful thing. It definitely kept me going at the end too. Fingers crossed Liam decides to come on his own, but if not, I'll be thinking about you on Monday. Hugs!!!