Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Heard Around the House

A random compliation of cute things my kids have said lately......

After Shay correctly identified the name of our subdivision and the name of our street, I praised her for being so smart. I then praised Bryn for being smart and helping to teach Shay these things. Bryn responded with, "Yes, we are both smart. (thoughtful pause) Mommy, are you smart too?"

*****

Bryn: Shay, when I grow up, I want to be an artist. Do you want to be an artist with me?
Shay: No Shay artist!
Bryn: That makes me sad. (pause) I am also going to be a mommy. Do you want to be a mommy?
Shay: No!
Bryn: What do you want to be when you grow up, Shay?
Shay: Shay be Daddy!!

*****

Bryn: I want to be a mommy when I get big!
Me: That's what you said. And how many kids did you want to have?
Bryn: Four or five. (pause to think) No, I think I want ten!

*****

As we headed out the door to Bryn's preschool conference this morning, she grabbed a blank piece of paper and a pen. She then turned to Ben and said seriously, "I am going to make a list of all the things you need to do, just like Mommy does."

*****

Yesterday Shay was being very willful, headstrong, and well, two years old. She was not obeying me at all. I sent Bryn out of the room so that I could talk to Shay and discipline her. Bryn returned a few minutes later, holding a piece of paper that she had written all over. She said very sternly, "Mommy, I made this for you. It is a new law." I managed to keep a straight face and asked her what it said, and she responded, "You have to be nice to Shay, even when she does not obey."

*****

We brought a tote full of baby stuff up from the basement. We started sorting through 0-3 month clothes to determine if the girls had any "neutral" things (aka not pink) that would work for a boy. The tote also contained a box full of baby toys, mostly rattles and finger puppets and things. Shay sorted through that entire box, exclaiming over each individual item, "Oh, this for Baby Liam! Doggy for Baby Liam! Rattle for Baby Liam! Paci for Baby Liam!" Etc.

*****

Bryn is such a logical, linear thinker that for her whole life, logic has worked better with her than punishments. Even when she was very little, when she misbehaved, we could say to her, "Bryn, if you do that, you will have a time out. Do you want a time out?" And she would immediately say "no" and change her behavior. But Shay is a little firecracker. When we try that same method with her, she gives us her devilish little grin and refuses to let logic work. "Do you want a time out?" YES! "Do you want to go boom?" YES! "Do you want to be in trouble?" YES! Looks like it's back to the drawing board for us!

3 comments:

SuperSillyAunt said...

The very last one sounds VERY familiar.

Andrea said...

Too funny! Hannah hates it when I put both of them in the car and then run back into the house for something. She has started asking as we are walking out the door "Mommy, do you have your wallet? Do you have your cell phone? Do you have money?" LOL

Kathy said...

hahaha