Pages

Thursday, January 07, 2010

13 Things To Do

For my first Thursday Thirteen of the year, I thought I'd make my list of things I want to do this year. Kind of a la New Year's resolutions. So here we go:

1. Read the Bible.
I always seem to fall off the "Bible in one year" plans in February or so, but I'm really excited by the one I'm doing this year. I'm reading the Bible chronologically. Okay, so I actually thought that Bible was published chronologically, or at least the Old Testament, for the most part. But after about 11 chapters of Genesis, my plan switched me to Job, which apparently occurs before Abraham and Lot. So I'm interested to see what else is out of the order that I've traditionally known.

2. Read at least one pleasure reading book per month.
This sounds like nothing compared to my father's 100, yes, 100 books of 2009, but I figure it's best to keep the goals modest with a small time-sucker (aka baby) on the way.


3. Join some kind of musical group (a band or choir) and perform with them.
Music was a huge part of my life in high school and college (hey, I even met my husband in marching band!), and I've really missed it in adulthood. For Christmas, my mom got my old clarinet cleaned and tuned, and I'm hoping to join up with a local community band (well, after practicing enough to get back in the swing of things!). I've also always wanted to be part of a choir of some sort. In spite of the fact that I've never learned to sing in tune, I'm sort of hoping that joining church choir would teach me to do that. Or maybe I've just been watching too much "Glee." At any rate, I want to get back into music in some way, but that won't be happening until after the baby comes, as right now, I barely have enough breath to get by on a daily basis, much less play an instrument. :)

4. Blog daily (at least a picture).
Been doing pretty good so far, huh?

5. Get back down to (at least) my pre-pregnancy weight.
Obviously, can't start on that one until at least March. I achieved this with Bryn a mere 6 weeks post-partum but NEVER managed to achieve it with Shay. Something about breast-feeding one and not the other...


6. Get involved with some kind of theatre group and help out with at least one production.
I'm not talking about doing anything crazy like acting here, but I really miss my days in the working with theatre groups and directing student productions at the Zville PAC. I'm thinking along the lines of volunteering to be a stage hand or something. Again, the hammering, painting, and whatnot will have to wait until after this baby comes.


7. Teach Bryn to read.
She knows all her letters and delights in working on them. She's also going to be starting a third day of preschool (at least some weeks). In the past, she's been happy to sit and look at the pictures in books, but now she keeps saying to me sorrowfully, "But I can't read yet." So while she may be a little young, she's showing all the signs of readiness. And this former English teacher is up for the challenge!

8. Potty-train Shay.
I'm thinking that this won't actually happen until summertime, as we've got some big changes coming in the next few months (moving into her big girl room, baby brother on the way). But even if we waited until summer, she's still be trained a year before Bryn was!

9. Finish up some of my murals.
As you faithful blog readers might recall, I started a Cars mural ages ago and haven't finished it. I also have several others sketched out on canvas that need painting. Our front room is just waiting for them.

10. Frame our portraits.
They've been sitting around for months.... okay, actually years in some cases. Get the frames and get them on the walls already!

11. Paint the kids' bathroom.
I have a cute yellow and blue combo in mind, to match the duck decorations. And hey, I even have the paint on hand, left over from the painting of the yellow room (our new guest room, formerly my sister's room) and the blue room (soon to be Shay's room). It's just a matter of doing it.

12. Get Shay into her big girl room.
It seems like getting her moved has morphed into this endless process that we just can't seem to finish up. But it needs to happen before March, or we won't have anywhere to put the baby! In order to get her moved in, I need to: finish painting and assembling her table and chairs, sew the fleeces for her bed, clean all the office supplies out of her closet, and move in her things (clothing, stuffed animals, etc.).

13. Breastfeed this baby.
I breastfed Bryn for a whole year, but it simply did not work with Shay. Possibly because she had the grip of a barracuda and drew blood every time she ate, so that only lasted about two weeks. For both health and financial reasons, I'd really like to breastfeed this baby. If nothing else, maybe I can pump and give him bottles of breastmilk.

So that's my year--looks like I'll be busy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Andrea said...

Wow, that is quite the list! Let me know how #7 works out. Hannah also loves letters and she also recently started stating sadly "but I can't read" when we tell her she can look at her books before bed. I'm just not sure where to start. Oh and don't forget to bring a nipple shield to the hospital for #13! Good luck!

SuperSillyAunt said...

I really like your list! I would like to do several of the same things. I really think Alexis should get into the theatre. So if you know of any place I can take her close by....
As for my list....I'm just glad I got started on school applications for the girls today:)

indyhumes said...

So very proud of you for this list!!

Kathleen said...

So, are you going to join the ZVille band??? :) I'm still trying to figure out if I have time to get back into that! Let me know if/when you're going to join - I'm sure Ron will be very happy (as will I)