Pages

Monday, December 21, 2009

4-Year-Old Theology

Not to be outdone by her little sister, Bryn recently shared a humorous theological interaction with me as well. At church, one of the elders gave a prayer thanking God for sending us Jesus and allowing us to have Him live in our hearts. I realized that while Bryn and I pray together every day and talk about God, I had never actually used the phrase "Jesus living in our hearts" with her before. So I tried to talk to her about it. The conversation went a little something like this:

Me: Bryn, does Jesus live in your heart?
Bryn (horrified): No, Mommy!
Me: Why not, sweetie?
Bryn: There are already two babies in my belly! I do not want Jesus in my heart. I would be too, too full.
Me (laughing): Oh, honey, when we say that Jesus lives in our hearts, that doesn't mean there is a person inside of us. It just means that we love Jesus. Do you understand?
Bryn: Yes, Mommy.
Me: So do you love Jesus?
Bryn: Oh yes.
Me: So that means that he lives in your heart, right?
Bryn: No! He does not live in my heart.
Me (confused): So then where does He live?
Bryn (with a look that can only be described as "duh"): In my Bible!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

aw :)

Elizabeth said...

They discussed this at Michael's preschool recently too. Michael must have gotten it a bit mixed up though because he told me, "I do NOT live in Jesus' heart...I live in a house!" 3 year olds are fun. :)

Janet and Kevin said...

Cute comments. Isn't it amazing how a 4-year-old's brain works? Keeps it interesting!! :)

Janet