Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

An Update

My dear friends and loyal readers -

I just have a second, but I wanted to update you all on what's been happening in our lives. Last Tuesday night, my mom called me and let me know that her father, my grandfather Parky, my last remaining grandparent, was in the hospital in critical care. He had actually been in the hospital for nearly a week then, following what we think was a stroke, but his condition was worsening. I packed up and left Indy for Peoria on Wednesday, leaving the girls with Ben and an assist from our wonderful sitter Lauren during the day.

I was able to spend a great deal of time with my grandfather and the rest of my extended family at the hospital on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Thursday, the family met with the doctors, who told us that his condition would likely not improve. He had a living will and had made clear his wishes not to have his life sustained by artificial means, and after a difficult meeting, the family decided to withdraw any medical interventions that might cause him pain or discomfort. At that point, we knew it would only be a matter of time before he passed.

On Friday, I made the drive back to Indy for an OB appointment (more on that at some later, more cheerful time), and then Ben and the girls returned to Peoria with me--LOTS of driving! We are so grateful that we did it, though, because Parky passed on Saturday morning.

We had the final viewing for our family yesterday (he is being cremated), and now we are in a holding pattern to see what comes next. Ben returned to Indy with my sister Kristin on Sunday evening, but Bryn, Shay, and I are still in Peoria. We will have a family ceremony sometime this week to bury his ashes, and we're not sure yet when the actual funeral will occur, although that will hopefully be determined this afternoon. So for right now, the girls and I are just trying to be a help to my mom and the rest of the extended family, and waiting to hear when these ceremonies will take place. Depending on the dates that are chosen, we may just remain in Peoria for the duration, or we may return to Indy and come back another time.

Huge thanks go out to everyone in Indy that has helped with our dogs and rescheduling our lives over the past six days, as well as everyone in Peoria who has provided companionship and comfort for us. I know that many of you have been praying for us, and we certainly appreciate that outpouring of love and faith. Thank you, all, for your friendship. I'll keep you all updated as we find out more.

3 comments:

SlyGly said...

I'm sorry to hear about this, Amy. But it is a blessing that you are able to have the time to be with your family now.

Anonymous said...

Our deepest sympathies to you and your family,during this difficult time....... treasure the fond memories you have of your grandfather , as you reflect back on his wonderful life! ,Our thoughts and prayers are with you, luv and hugs, Logan'&Will's grama/grampa R.

The Murray Crew said...

Amy, I'm sooooo sorry that your family is facing such a difficult loss.

We will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Thank you for commenting on our blog. I only wish we could have met! I didn't end up publishing your comment because we try to keep our location general to keep the internet kooks away! Next time please stop and say hello!

Hugs!