Pages

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Boy vs. Man

As I mentioned in a previous post, Shay's newest saying is "oh man!" This really cracks me up. She uses it all the time, and it's so incredibly cute the way she says it. Ben, Bryn, and I have all started saying it too because it's so adorable.

What I noticed the other day, though, is that when she gets excited about something, she says "oh boy!" instead. This led me, the English major, to a contemplation of how subtly different the words "boy" and "man" are, yet how differently they are used in this context. I mean, I'm sure that Shay could not identify the difference between a boy and a man in people (nor could Bryn). Yet when used as an expression, she's got it down.

Doughnuts for breakfast?
Oh boy!

Time to clean up our toys?
Oh man!

Want to play outside?
Oh boy!

Bryn doesn't want to watch the same movie as Shay?
Oh man!

Daddy just got home?
Oh boy!

Time to get up from naps?
Oh man!
(or at least that's how I feel! :))

No comments: