Pages

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Back in the Saddle.... Again

When I left University in June, my plan was to revel in staying at home with my kids this year. And we had a really fantastic summer, full of all kinds of fun activities, and I was looking forward to more of the same in the fall. But apparently my plan was not God's plan.

Last weekend, one of my friends called to let me know about an English position open at her school, Tri West HS. One of their teachrs is having surgery, so it's just for about 6 weeks. I told her that I'd be interested in hearing more. The principal called me on Sunday to set up an interview for 10:00 on Monday. By 12:00 on Monday, I was leaving the building carrying textbooks to start planning my curriculum. In spite of my intense worries, babysitters fell into line more beautifully than I could have dreamed. This was definitely a God Thing (and, I'm hoping, also a Good Thing).

Let me take a second out here to point out that God is definitely teaching (or trying to teach) me to be flexible. I am about the world's most organized person ever. Our family calendar features entries in six different colors, each one indicating whose activity it is. I plan activities for my kids months in advance. I love to have everything in order. Surprises throw me for a loop. So consider the irony of the fact that for the last three years, when August has rolled around, this teacher has not been looking for a job. In fact, I have planned to stay home the last three years. But every August for the last three years, I have received a phone call from some school district, frantically asking me if I'd be willing to start teaching in two weeks or less. In 2007, it was my old stomping grounds of Zionsville, asking me to fill a medical leave for a teacher I had worked with previously. I was 6 months pregnant with Shay at the time, but I did it and really enjoyed it. Last year, University was looking to fill a full-time position. While I did have a lot of great experiences during the course of the school year, it was definitely chaos to get ready to start that quickly. And now there's Tri West. So off I go to work again.
(side note - the links provided there are from the posts I wrote when I first accepted those jobs)

The craziest part of all is that after my Monday interview and hiring, I started work on Thursday. Thursday and Friday were new staff training days. Monday and Tuesday will be faculty days, and the kids come on Wednesday. So I have definitely jumped in very quickly! But I really like all that I've seen of the school so far--the staff is very friendly and dedicated, and the school's vision for their students seems far more in line with my own beliefs than any other school I've been at before.

I'm sure the next few weeks will be rather crazy, but I'll keep you all updated on how things go. :) My job will be done by at least the end of September (if not sooner, depending on how fast the teacher heals from his surgery), and I'm looking forward to a relaxing fall with my kiddos after that!

1 comment:

SlyGly said...

That's really great news, Amy!