Pages

Friday, July 31, 2009

I Am...

During the school year, Alicia's student writing group led the student body in this exercise. Starting from the foundation of "I am...." each student created a poem about their identity. I have long been wanting to write one myself, but I haven't because everything in my life has been in such flux. Recently, though, I have realized that maybe, that is what "I am" after all. So here are my results.... It was a really interesting exercise, and I'd challege all of you to give it a try as well.

I am a mass of contradictions.
I am torn between two worlds: a working mother longing for home, and a homemaker wanting a life of my own.
I am an impulsive, energetic, enthusiastic camp counselor, beaten down by adult life.
I am a wishful world traveler, an adventurer stuck in the Midwest.
I am both a dreamer and a planner.
I am a mother to five children, two living, three dead.
I am a writer who never has time to pick up a pen and a reader with a library full of untouched books.
I love music and revel in its beauty, but I am tone deaf.
I am an introvert who gets energized when speaking in front of a group.
I am sincere, and I am sarcastic.
I believe in living simply, but my house is overflowing with excess.
I value my friendships above all, but I struggle with keeping in touch.
I take naps in the middle of the day, and I put myself to sleep with fantasies of having inexhaustible engery.
I am a mother, an adult, but every day, I still wonder what I want to be when I grow up.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That really is beautiful.

Alicia said...

:)

Tina said...

I like this! You and I are a LOT alike!

SuperSillyAunt said...

I LOVED this post...very thoughtful and honest. I can't wait to see your girls again once school starts back up! (This is Amy BTW, Cathy's SIL)