Pages

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

February = Fail

I've sort of been dreading this post.  I know I said that I would post monthly updates regarding how I'm doing with this year's resolutions.  While I did a pretty good job in January, it seems that was mostly due to my flexible schedule, since I was not teaching a J-term class at school and had the freedom to come and go on my own time.  Now that I'm back to the actual grind of a daily job, not to mention taking care of home and family, many of my goals seem to have fallen by the wayside.  Of course, it doesn't help that I've been sick for nearly all of February as well.... Post on that to follow.  Without further excuses, here's the update:

1. Get my thyroid under control.
I had my levels checked two weeks ago, and there was both good news and bad news.  The good news is that the new medication (cytomel) is working beautifully, and both my T3 and T4 are regulated.  The bad news is that we still haven't found the right dosage for my old medication (syntheroid).  My TSH is at 4.97, which is very high.  So we've now increased my syntheroid dosage yet again, putting me at the highest level of that I've ever been on.  I've got another two to three weeks on this dosage before we can do the bloodwork to see how my levels are adjusting.

2. Lose some weight.
My less pathetic excuse:  I have been sick and my thyroid is out of whack, and my body needs all the sleep it can get to fight off these conditions, so getting up early (at 5:00, since my usual wake-up time is 5:30) to exercise on the treadmill has not been working out.  
My far more pathetic excuse: It has been a rough month around here.  And when I'm stressed out or sad, I eat.  Yes, I am a sympathy eater--primarily sympathy with myself.  So there was been much dining out this month.
All of that being said, by some miracle, I have actually managed to hold steady at my weight from last month.  I haven't gained anything, but I haven't lost anything either.  All things considered, I'll take it.

3. No miscarriages in 2009
So far, so good.  But there haven't been any pregnancies either.  This is particularly discouraging, as we racked up many very expensive medical bills in February while I underwent some fertility treatments.  More on that at a later time, but suffice it to say that this was a large part of the reason that I felt so deathly ill for most of the month.

4. Expand our family.
Utter fail.  No pregnancy, and we have not completed either of the 2 remaining foster parenting classes.  Several of our pregnant friends have delivered their babies this month though (which means we have now been trying--or wanting to try--unsuccessfully for more than nine months), and several others announced their pregnancies.  So other people are succeeding, even if we're not!  (Reading over this, it sounds far more bitter than I intended--really, truly, we are very happy for all of these friends; we are also just sad for ourselves.)

5. Blog.
Even with the many surveys, I didn't do so well this month.  Largely there's just a lot of discouraging stuff going on around here, so I'm not sure what to write about.

6. Read.
Another utter fail.  I have not read a single page of The Book Thief this month, although I did start it and enjoy it very much in January.  In fact, I haven't read so much as a magazine article for pleasure this month.  I have read MANY papers for school though.  And if it's any consolation, I read (and taught) both Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare) and 1984 (Orwell).  Next on the docket are Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck) and King Lear (Shakespeare), so you can look for them in my March update.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Well, I read your other post first, and I've got to say, please don't sweat it. I think you're doing just fine with the resolutions anyway but the #1 priority now is getting you healthy! Then everything else will fall into place!

Hang in there!

Cathy said...

Given your health drama, the fact that you haven't gained given the whacked out hormones (I certainly did) really means you would have lost weight. Get you healthy and as M says, everything else will fall into place.

Andrea said...

Awww it doesn't sound like a failure to me, just a work in progress!