Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Bucket List

Here's the first of my surveys:
The Bucket List. Place an X by all the things you've done and remove the X from the ones you have not.

Things you have done during your lifetime:

( ) Gone on a blind date

( ) Cheated on your significant other
Whose goals are these? Seriously…..

(X) Used a rotary phone

(x) Know how to play poker
I actually need to be re-taught every time I sit down to play, but I have played several times, so I guess that means I “kind of know.”

( ) Dated someone 10 years or more older

( ) Dated someone 10 years of more younger

(x) Been married
To Ben, for four and a half years

(x) Got married in a church

( ) Eloped to get married

( ) Been divorced
Again, whose goals are these?!?!

(X) Skipped school
DHS Valedictorian skip day of 1997….. Since there were 11 of us up for valedictorian (our school didn’t have weighted grades, and we all had 4.0s), they threatened that if any of us skipped during the regular senior skip day, we’d be out of the running. A few weeks later, the valedictorians (me, Melissa, Maria, Caroline, Jason, Matt, Damon, Mike, Chai-Vay, Pete, and Erik) and salutatorian (Tony) were excused from school for a morning to do a photo shoot for the Peoria paper, and we decided that we were just all going to skip the whole day. We had breakfast at McDonald’s, then did the photo shoot (which only took about an hour), went to the zoo, went out for ice cream, and went over to Maria’s house to watch a movie. We thought we were big rebels.

(x) Knew all 4 of your grandparents
Kind of. My paternal grandmother died when my dad was in high school, so I obviously never met her. However, my paternal grandfather married again not too long after that, and I always viewed her (Mimi) as my grandmother. As a side note, I also knew/know all four of Ben’s grandparents.

(x) Knew a great-grandparent
My great-grandfather was alive until I was 2, and while I don’t remember him, I do have pictures of us together. My great-grandmother was alive until I was 7, and I have a lot of great memories of her.

( ) Knew a great-great grandparent

( ) Watched someone die

(x) Watched a baby be born
I didn’t actually “watch” this, but I’ve had two children of my own.

( ) Watched an animal die

( ) Watched an animal baby be born

(x) Been to Canada
Part of the Great Summer Road Trip of 2003.

(x) Been to Mexico
Part of the same Great Summer Road Trip. Ben and I spent 3 months traveling across the USA, as well as Canada and Mexico. We basically lived in the Jeep. We tent camped almost every night, cooking on a gas stove and over campfires. This was an awesome adventure.

(x) Been to Florida
Many times. My paternal grandparents lived there while I was growing up. My family also used to go to Panama City Beach for spring breaks while I was in junior high and high school.

( ) Been to Hawaii

(x) Been to Alaska
On a cruise, for our honeymoon. Cold, but beautiful.

(x) Been to the Grand Canyon
summer road trip…. gorgeous

(x) Been to Las Vegas
same summer trip

(x) Seen a musical
Many. My favorites were at Corn Stock Theater in Peoria growing up, although I have seen many high school productions as well. ☺

(X) Watched a play
Again, many. I prefer musicals though.

( ) Been on a wine tasting tour
Since I don’t drink, this wouldn’t be all that exciting for me.

(X) Been on a plane

( ) Been on a helicopter

(x) Been on a Ferry
Summer road trip 2003, en route to Martha’s Vineyard.

(x) Boating on the Great Lakes
Many times. My family vacations in Michigan every summer. My favorite/most embarrassing story about this is from when we took Bryn out on a friend’s boat with us when she was less than a year old. We got pulled over the by Boat Police because there weren’t enough lifejackets on board for everyone, and my little infant felon got her very own citation for not wearing a lifejacket.

(x) Been lost

(x) Gone to Washington, DC
Once for the National Young Leaders Conference during my senior year of high school, and again as part of my East Coast Road Trip with Damon during my spring break in 2002.

( ) Been to Atlantic City

(x) Been to Nashville, TN

(x) Swam in the ocean

(x) Cried yourself to sleep

(x) Played cops and robbers

(x) Recently colored with crayons
After all, I have a 3-year-old.

( ) Sang Karaoke

(x) Sang in a choir
Church choir, when I was little. I’d love to sing in a choir again, but I’m completely tone deaf.

(x) Learned to couples dance
Ballroom dance class to earn my college p.e. credit.

(x) Learned to country line dance

(X) Paid for a meal with coins only
Fast food only.

(x) Been to the top of the St. Louis Arch

(X) Gone to college
Butler University class of 2001! Also did a mini-mester at Illinois Central College to get an easy science credit and a semester at University College Cork while studying abroad.

(X) Done something you told yourself you wouldn't

(x) Made prank phone calls
Wasn’t this the #1 passtime at junior high slumber parties?!?! ☺

(X) Cried during a movie
Frequently. Often at scenes that really aren’t that sad. I’m a sucker.

(x) Been down Bourbon Street in New Orleans
Didn’t actually enjoy it much, as we were there in July at it was miserably hot.

(X) Laughed until some kind of beverage came out of your nose & elsewhere

(x) Caught a snowflake on your tongue

(x) Danced in the rain half-naked
I’m assuming that wearing a swimming suit counts…. “Puddle jumping” was one of my favorite rainy-day activities at Camp Tecumseh.

(x) Written a letter to Santa Claus

( ) Been kissed under the mistletoe

(X) Watched the sunrise with someone
Best memories of this are on an Indian reservation in South Dakota during a high school youth group work trip, and on the beach in Michigan with childhood family friends (Freunds, Gills, and Fennells).

(x) Blown bubbles
Yesterday…. Again, I have a 3-year-old.

(X) Gone ice-skating
I actually took lessons all the way into high school. I was pretty good for a while.

(X) Gone to the movies
Not so much since having kids. But this is basically what the Dunlap Clan did every Friday and Saturday night from 1992 to 1997!

( ) Been deep sea fishing

( ) Been ice fishing
I don’t see where the fun in this would be….

(x) Been canoeing
Camp T float trips, baby…

(x) Participated in a Walk-A-Thon for charity

( ) Been in 4-H

( ) Been in FFA
I really wish I had done one of the last two….

(x) Been in Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts

(X) Gone to camp
Girl Scout camp once, which was a bad experience. I was in third grade. We had to sleep in tents. There were daddy-long-legs everywhere. Another girl wet her bed, then woke me up in the middle of the night to ask if she could sleep with me. Luckily, I later got to go to Camp Tecumseh for five summers and loved it more than anything. As a college student and adult, I also worked at Camp T for five summers, so all in all, that’s a lot of camp! Also various weekends when working at Camp T for events and conferences in the fall and spring, and when chaperoning and/or attending various club trips. I also took a group of kids to Young Life camp one week before my wedding.

( ) Held a snake in your bare hands

( ) Held a tarantula in your bare hands
Why would I want to do these things? Yuck!

(x) Driven South across the United States

( ) Been in a hot air balloon

( ) Been sky diving

( ) Taken over the controls of a plane

( ) Been to a NASCAR race

( ) Gone snowmobiling

(x) Lived in more than one country
Lived in Ireland for 6 months in the spring of 2000.

(X) Lay down outside at night and admired the stars while listening to the crickets
One of my very favorite ways to spend the evening at Camp Tecumseh.

(X) Seen a falling star and made a wish
My favorite way to do this was while lying on Angel’s Slide sanddune while on vacation in Michigan with family friends in high school (Freunds and Gills).

(x) Enjoyed the beauty of Old Faithful Geyser
Well, I don’t know if I “enjoyed the beauty,” as it was about 20 degrees out and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but I’ve seen it at least….

(x) Seen the Statue of Liberty
And climbed up inside it, while in NYC with Krysten, Kristen, and Andrea during fall break of 2000.

(x) Seen the Golden Gate Bridge
During my summer road trip with Ben.

( ) Gone to the top of Seattle Space Needle
Didn’t go to the top, but I have seen it, again during the summer road trip.

(x) Been on a cruise
This is how I saw Alaska…. We went for our honeymoon in June of 2004.

(x) Traveled by train
All over England and Europe while I was studying abroad in 2000.

( ) Traveled by motorcycle

(X) Traveled by bus
After all, I went to public school….

( ) Ridden on a Harley

(x) Been horseback riding
If the trail rides at Camp Tecumseh count as real horseback riding…. ☺

(x) Ridden on a San Francisco CABLE CAR
summer road trip

(x) Been to Disneyland --- or Disney World
Both, during the same summer road trip. I also went to Disney World with my family while growing up.

(x) Been in a rain forest
Not tropical, but in northern California during our summer road trip.

( ) Seen whales in the ocean

(x) Been to Niagara Falls
Not shockingly by this point in the survey, also during our summer road trip.

( ) Ridden on an elephant

( ) Swam with dolphins

(x) Been to the Olympics
The event, not so much. Olympic National Park, yes.

( ) Walked on the Great Wall of China

( ) Saw and heard a glacier calf

( ) Been spinnaker flying

(X) Been water-skiing

(x) Been snow-skiing

(x) Been to Westminster Abbey
With my mom, when she visited while I was studying abroad and we visited London together.

(x) Been to the Louvre
Twice. Once with Melissa and once with my mom, both in the spring of 2000 while studying abroad.

(x) Swam or waded in the Mediterranean
While at the Costa Del Sol with a high school trip to Spain in 1996.

(x) Been to a Major League Baseball game
Chicago Cubs, several times while growing up.

(X) Been to a National Football League game
Go Colts!

( ) Been to a National Basketball Association game

( ) Been to a National Hockey League game

( ) Watched school bus races
Do these really exist?

( ) Ridden a mechanical bull

(x) Played in the snow

( ) Climbed a Lighthouse

( ) Been to Italy
Traveling with Melissa, visiting Stephanie and Krysten, spring break while studying abroad, 2000.

( ) Been to Spain
Madrid and Torremolinos, summer 1996, while on a school trip and visiting Bob and Tom.

( ) Been to the Carribean

( ) Been Para-4 sailing
Is this the same as regular parasailing? If so, yes, at Panama City Beach.

( ) Been to Kentucky Derby

( ) Been to a horse racing track and bet on the horses

(x) Been to the Hoover Dam
Ben and I dubbed in the “Damn Dam” because of the lengthy traffic jam we sat in while there.

(x) Been on Route 66
summer road trip

(x) Seen a bear in the wild
several times during summer road trip, most notably at Yellowstone National Park

( ) Shot and killed wild game

( ) Owned a convertible

( ) Owned a pickup truck

( ) Been in a roll over accident

( ) Been through the Panama Canal

( ) Been to Asia

( ) Been to South America

( ) Been to Antarctica

( ) Been to Australia

( ) Been to Africa

( ) Been to Scotland
Sadly, no. I really wanted to but never quite made it while studying abroad.

( ) Been to Ireland
Lived there for six months while studying abroad in 2000.

( ) Been to Germany
Also during my spring break while I was studying abroad.

( ) Been to Russia

(x) Been in more than one ocean
Both Atlantic and Pacific. Also, I’ve been in the Atlantic from both sides (American and Europe).

( ) Done something that you are legally forbidden from discussing

( ) Seen the Leaning Tour of Piza

(x) Seen the real "Last Supper" fresco

(x) Seen the Statue of David

(x) Toured a cave
Carlsbad Caverns, summer road trip 2003.

( ) Been scuba diving

(x) Been snorkeling
A very janky version of this, in La Jolla, during our summer road trip.

( ) Rode dirt bikes

( ) Rode ATV's

( ) Went skinny dipping

(x) Fallen in love

(x) Had my heart broken

( ) Been to a working cattle ranch

( ) Competed in a rodeo

(x) Tried eating an exotic food even though you knew what it was made of

(x) Moved more than 10 times in your life
From city to city, no. But if you count in and out of various dorms, apartments, and camp cabins, more than 10.

( ) Live in the same town you grew up in

( ) Went to the same school that one of your parents went to

( ) Had the same teacher that one of your parents had

No comments: