Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

That's My Supergirl

As anyone who knew me in high school can attest, I was a bit of a Superman fanatic. By this, of course, I mean that I was in love with Superman. I mean, really, who wasn't? He could fly. He could leap tall buildings in a single bound. He fought for truth and justice. He was the perfect guy.

I desperately wanted to be Lois Lane. Not just because she and Superman were in love (although this was clearly a large selling point), but because she was a hardnosed, successful reporter in her own right. Sure, she had to keep getting rescued by Superman, but she was also a strong, independent woman who had amazing adventures all her own. In retrospect, my deep love of Clark and Lois may have had something to do with why I entered college as a journalism major.

Back in the day, I had collected quite a good bit of Superman paraphenalia. I multiple t-shirts, baseball caps, posters, novels, children's storybooks, coloring books, stickers, comic books, and action figures. I was also an avid watcher of "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman." What wasn't to love about Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher?


As the years wore on, my Superman collection slowly dismantled itself. I think the shirts and hats ended up donated to various Goodwills over the years. The coloring books probably got thrown away. The novels, comic books, and action figures are buried deep in Rubbermaid totes in my basement. But a few vestiges have remained in everyday life. I still sport Superman pajama pants one or two nights a week. An old stuffed Superman doll resides in Shaylee's closet with her own stuffed animals. And perhaps most importantly, one of my children's storybooks made its way onto Bryn's bookshelf.
She discovered it a few weeks ago, and now that kid lives and breathes for all things Superman. She wants to read that book every time we read stories. I dug around in my closet until I found an old plastic Superman watch, and now she wants to wear it all the time. Ben (who may have had a bit of a love for Lois Lane himself) downloaded all of season 1 of "Lois and Clark" onto our laptop, and the past few nights have featured family cuddles in front of the screen as we watch it. Last night, we watched one episode (the one where kryptonite is discovered) and then I took Bryn up to bed. She kicked and screamed the whole way, shouting, "I want more Superman!" My sister and just laughed and shook her head, declaring, "She really is your kid."
On Saturday, we went to the Children's Museum to give Shay a taste of the Playscape now that she's getting around so well. We got derailed on the way, though, by the superhero exhibit on level 2. I have walked past that exhibit many times without ever going in, but this time around, as soon as Bryn caught sight of the Man of Steel, we had to go in. Here's me and my Supergirl with the first exhibit:
Although she is a bit young to be experiencing obsessions of her own, Shay does seem to at least be interested in our hearthrob as well. Here's her clutching a Superman costume at the museum:
My conclusion? Even though my girls may look just like their daddy, they seem to have inherited this love from me. :)

8 comments:

Carrie said...

I was addicted to Lois & Clark too! Did we talk about this in college? How hot were Teri Hatcher & Dean Cain together? The Mer & McDreamy of the 90's. I need to go back and watch some of those old episodes...

Jill said...

Did it used to be on Sunday nights? I vaguely remember watching it the family room (we didn't do that very often) by a fire in the fireplace, eating smokies and crescents... :)

Ragfield said...

So it's hereditary then? Fascinating.

Moonwatcher said...

It's definitely in the genes :-)

Cathy said...

You're going to need 2 of those capes like Hannah has! Our children are doomed.

Kathleen said...

I forgot to tell you that Bryn asked me to read her Superman book at bedtime last Monday. I had forgotten about your obsession. My only thought was "Mike would love this!" :)

SlyGly said...

Are you a Smallville fan too? I have seen every episode of it at least three times.

Joe said...

I've been noticing that there is something very...satisfying when Jack shows interest in something that is a love of mine.