Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First Day of Summer

In spite of the fact that today was cloudy, gray, gross, and chilly, it was still my first day of summer, and I was determined to enjoy it. This morning, I packed up the girls and met Andrea and Hannah at the zoo. We had a great time roaming around looking at all the animals and even got a chance to take in the dolphin show. I had a hard time keeping Bryn from diving into the shark pool and from leaping into the bear's area (she kept begging, "Mommy, Bryn down with bear!"), which I guess is indicative of her enjoying herself. Because of these escapist tendencies, though, we actually broke down over the weekend and did something we always swore that we would never do as parents: we bought Bryn a leash. You know, one of those harnesses that keeps your kids from running away in crowded areas. Hers is actually really cute. It looks like a little dog backpack (it even has a pocket to hold stuff), and the parent just holds on to the "tail" strap. Bryn calls it her "doggy bag" and every time I let go, she begs me "Mommy hold Brynie tail!" She thinks it's a toy. So I may be THAT mother who drags her kid around on a leash, but at least Bryn seems to enjoy it. Anyway, this picture is of me, Hannah, and Bryn looking at the flamingos. Hannah is eating fruit snacks, which is why she's making kind of a funny face. You can see Bryn in her dog backpack and me dutifully holding the tail.

We were home just long enough to take naps, then it was off to Ryan and Kathy's house for dinner. We had this amazingly yummy chicken and rice dish and then treated ourselves to some Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Bryn sorted through a huge box of Legos from Ryan's childhood and Shay amused everyone with her cuteness. Somehow Kathy and I managed to defeat the boys in a close came of Euchre, in spite of the fact that I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing. After arriving home, bathing the girls, and putting Bryn to bed, Ben settled Shay in her high chair and fed her another delectable meal of sweet peas. She ate half the jar and would have happily kept going if we hadn't cut her off. Here you see her trick of giving herself a bottle. Doesn't she look tiny in that big chair???

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Glad you had fun! :) You need to get that cookbook.

The doggie tail is so hilarious!

One year at Indiana Beach (of all places) I saw a lady forget her child was walking on a leash behind her, and she went in a door without holding the door open for the toddler. SMACK. It wasn't pretty!

Anonymous said...

Working at the Children's Museum (in Cincy) a few years ago I saw many parents, and esp. grandparents using leashes. One grandmother told me that she always thought they were cruel & unusual...until she tried bringing her two grandkids to the Museum...then she decided they were one of the best ideas ever!

Melissa said...

Glad you came up with the doggie tail solution-- that sounds far better than having Bryn get away from you and leap into the shark tank! And hooray for a summer day at the zoo. Does the Indianapolis Zoo have howler monkeys??!!

Anonymous said...

I actually saw another kid with that same doggie packback leash this weekend at Lowe's, and I said to Steve, "Hey, that kid's on a leash, but at least it's a cute one." I think that the whole kid / leash idea is pretty funny, and I may just use one myself some day. ;) - Ashley

Cathy said...

What do you mean you didn't know what you were doing with euchre? Didn't you go to Butler? Don't you live in Indiana? Oh well. I promised my stepmom I'd never use one of those leashes, but I confess I have an Elmo one in the closet, not had to use it yet, since blessedly, Chris still is small and sits tight. But those days are numbered. I remember thinking the same thing about Chris in his high chair, in fact he WAS too small, and we ended up feeding him in his swing for 6 weeks.

Cathy said...

Oh and P.S. Did you just LOVE the way the Koala exhibit smelled?

Andrea said...

LOL oh sure pick the picture where my kid was making a funny face (okay I think she was making a funny face in all the pictures I took but it was hard to see!). ;)

We had so much fun at the zoo - thanks for inviting us!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious... I thought I opened Andrea's blog, then I saw the picture of Hannah, and I thought it was interesting that Andrea had a picture of you on her blog... hehe then I started reading :) --Gwyn