Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Update in Photos

We've had several cute photo opps lately, so I thought I'd just do a quick posting of the pictures with brief explanations as a window into our recent lives....
This past week, I busted out Bryn's old play mat for Shay. Shay loves it and is already a pro at grasping the animals, which Bryn didn't do until much later. Bryn loves it too and keeps trying to crawl in there with Shay. She is also a big fan of turning the music on and off for her baby sister and showing her how all the different parts work.

This past weekend, Ben's parents came to visit. While Nana got cuddle time with baby Shay, Ben's dad, Ben, and our friend Ryan retreated to the basement to build a freaking amazing set of shelves designed by engineer Ryan. Now Ben has a great place to work on all his castings, painting, etc for Higher Ground Games. Plus the boys were even nice enough not to complain when Bryn decided that all she wanted out of life was to sit on the shelves, watch them, and read her Bible.

Last night, I pulled Bryn's hair into a ponytail for the first time. I was shocked to realize that it was long enough to do that! Of course, it's still so baby fine that it's hard to keep back, but she's awfully darn cute like that. This may sound weird, but with her hair in a ponytail, Bryn looks EXACTLY like my sister Kristin looked from the back when she was little. I realize that one could argue that many little ponytailed girls look the same from the back, but the resemblance is so strong, at least to me, that when I was sitting with Bryn in my lap after pulling her hair back, I felt like I had traveled back in time and was sitting with my baby sister instead. Crazy.

Here's Ben giving Her Grace (as we call Miss Shaylee Grace in her more royal moments) one of her many bottles. This kid is eating so much these days that she is rarely seen without a bottle in her mouth. She must have inherited Aunt Jill's metabolism, though, because she remains ridiculously skinny in spite of her constant milk intake. At almost 3 months, Shay is still smaller than my friend Katrina's son was when he was born.... which, interestingly enough, was on the same day as Shay.

While the boys were working in the basement over the weekend, Ben's mom showed us some dresses that she had picked up for Bryn at her friend's resale shop. Bryn liked this particular one so much that she insisted on putting it on immediately over her pajamas. My little tomboy, usually clad in jeans and a t-shirt, instantly transformed into a princess, twirling back and forth in her pink, flowery, silky dress. She was totally adorable.... until I made her take it off so we could go out to lunch for a (belated) birthday celebration for Ben, at which point she turned into a kicking, screaming, thrashing monster, telling me forcefully through her tears, "Want flowers!" Sorry, honey, formal gown over pjs isn't exactly public attire.

Two more quick "conversation" notes on Bryn lately. I mentioned in my last post how she has started to understand that Ben goes to work during the day. Yesterday, he was able to go into work a bit later than usual, so he was still here when she woke up. He went in to see her and she looked at him with a confused expression on her face and immediately asked, "No work?" What a little smartie!

As the language explosion progresses, Bryn's newest word is "self." I think she has picked it up from me asking "Do you want me to help you, or do you want to do it yourself?" So now she refers to herself as "self," as in "Self do!" She has become little miss independent lately.

That's it for now! We have our first meeting of our new community group from church tonight, so we're really excited to get going on that. Hope all your weeks are going well!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That ponytail is sooooo cute!!! Looking at all these different pics makes me miss the photo contests you sued to have. You and ben should have another :-)love,Pam

Anonymous said...

and that's "used to" not "sued to"....oops
-Pam

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pictures. LOVE the ponytail. LOVE the cute talk!!! =)

LOVE you!,
Angie <><

Tina said...

So cute! Can't wait to see everyone this weekend!

libby said...

self misses you! bummer about this past weekend, but we'll catch up soon, right!? ;)

ps - adorable pics!

Kathy said...

so cute! Bryn looks so grown up with the ponytail! Looking forward to seeing you this week. :)