Pages

Monday, November 26, 2007

One Way or Another

Well. As I said before, there will be a baby this week--more specifically, tomorrow--one way or another. At my doctor's appointment this morning, Dr H decided to try stripping my membranes, which, for those of you who have not experienced it, is not a fun process. Basically, this process achieves three things:
1) clearing the way for the baby, so now there is essentially nothing between her and fresh air
2) releasing tons of hormones into my body
3) causing intense achiness

According to Dr H, this process starts labor in 50% of the people who have it. I am also dilated 4-5 cm and now 70% effaced. The baby's head is in position, and I've been having mild contractions for a little over a month. All together, one would think that these things would add up to labor starting any moment, but with my luck, we're thinking probably not.

As a back-up measure, they also scheduled me for an induction tomorrow.... at 5:30 am, which is the latest time they had available. Double ouch. I am not terribly thrilled about this, since I was hoping to avoid an induction if at all possible, but it has come to the point where I don't have a lot of other choices, considering that the doctors are afraid that this baby girl is going to get too big for me. So if I don't go into labor naturally tonight, I'll be hooked up to drugs as of 5:30 am tomorrow. So she's coming, one way or another!

BIG thank yous go out to several of our local friends ahead of time -
* Suellen and Alicia for spending the night here tonight so that Bryn can pass a comfortable night in her own crib and not face an early morning wake-up call.
* Derek for being on dog duty until my return from the hospital.
* Cathy for being babysitter extraordinaire, and also Eric and Christopher, for allowing all their lives to be severely complicated by "adopting" Bryn for the next few days, as well as bringing her to the hospital to meet the baby sister, whenever she arrives.

I will post again as I am able, as the fancy-schmancy hospital where I will be delivering has laptops and wireless internet access in every room (wow). So keep an eye out for news!

P.S. Very weird to think that by 24 hours from now, I will have produced another human being, who will change my life forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SO EXCITING!!!!!

LOVE YOU AND CAN'T WAIT!!!

-ANGIE

Kathy said...

yay I can't wait!

Melissa said...

wowwwwwwwwwww!!!!!! you are having a baby right now!!!!!!!!!!! i am gonna get no work done today, thinking of you and pacing around. can't wait to meet her!!!!!!!!!!!