Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Further Pine Tar Adventures

And the pine tar adventures continue..... On the second day that I used the soap, I decided that I wasn't getting enough lather on my washcloth to really make the "wonder" properties fully effective. I mean, after all, the only other people that I can figure use this stuff are burly men and pioneers, and I'm guessing none of them use washclothes. So I began applying the soap directly to my skin. I quickly discovered that the reason I wasn't getting much lather on my washcloth was because, well, the stuff doesn't really lather. It mostly just leaves kind of a muddy residue on the skin. When rinsing, it basically looks like mud is running off your body.

Also on the second day of using the soap, it took me both hands and considerable strength to pry the bar of soap off the shelf. Apparently it had somewhat congealed there during the night. I guess this makes sense, considering that both pine and tar are quite sticky substances. As the days have gone by, though, its adhesiveness has decreased as the bar has shrunk due to excessive use. That's a good thing, right?

The soap also leaves a black/brown residue on every surface that it touches--black where the actual bar of soap has rested, and brown where the remnants of rinsing have landed. This results in a rather dingy and somewhat scary-looking shower.

It was actually the third day of pine tar goodness before Ben got the joys of experiencing its scent. He had already left for work on the first morning that I used it, and he was out of town at a gaming thing on the second day. On the third day, however, he entered the shower, only to quickly exit it again, and inform me that my soap smelled like "burning tires." I think that means he doesn't like it.

In spite of all of these complaints, however, it was been fulfilling its purpose. After the first day of use, the PUPPPs itched less. After the second day, the rash had retreated back to just my stomach. Since then, I find myself rather itchy by morning, as if the rash is gearing up to spread, and another pine tar washing provides me with nearly itch-free comfort for the rest of the day. While I do have small red dots remaining on a few parts of my body, they have never become the angry red welts that I acquired the first time around, and the itching is no worse than a few mosquito bites, which is far preferable to the claw-your-own-skin-off sensation of the first time.

I believe that the soap works so well because one use dries your skin out completely--by the time I get out of the shower, my skin is so dry and tight that I feel the need to bathe in a vat of anti-stretch mark lotion. This is not a good-smelling substance either, but it's way better than tar scent. At any rate, it seems that if I keep up this regime, I will manage to keep the PUPPPs rash to a minimum for the duration of pregnancy, so aside from the time that I actually spend in the shower with my pine tar wonder product, I have a far more cheerful outlook on life than the last time I wrote. Only a month to go....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOOO glad to hear the effects of the FOUL smelling LATHER? is working 'somewhat' anyway. You really should compile all this data into a BOOK someday, for 'all PREGNANT" ladies to read about AND for the sheer entertainment , for the rest of us!!!! I can just imagine, that the first thing you're going to want to do, upon the BIRTHING of this next little angel, is to SOAK in a LUXURY BATH of WUNDERFUL SMELLING BUBBLES!!!!!! Until then , keep up with GRANPA's WONDER SOAP, and may the next month hurry along !!!!! Hugs to all, logan's grama

Kathy said...

Hi Amy! Glad to hear it worked. I second logan's grama...you should write all of this down in a book somewhere!

Hope to see you soon :)

Andrea said...

Yay! I'll just remember not to sit too close during game night. ;)

By the way, check out my blog when you get a chance. There are some very cute pictures of Hannah & Cash in their Halloween costumes!!!

Melissa said...

Amy,
Do you remember when we used to try to solve our problems by the I.D.E.A.L. method? We'd list out the problem, then describe the possibilities, then evaluate the choices, etc. Always among our choices was "take a long shower" -- I"m not sure why we would put that option in there, but I guess this time, that is your solution for sure.

At any rate, I am so glad that the burning tire soap is working. As for dingy bathroom surfaces-- try good old fashioned baking soda. When the shower is still slightly wet, sprinkle some on. Wait a tad, then scrub it off with a sponge. It will be as shiny as new. For me, I have a chronic problem of bike grease in the shower (given Rob's routine bike riding habit). I could never find anything to lift bike grease, but one day tried baking soda and it did the trick!!

Much love to you.

Melissa said...

P.S.
I also think you should write a book.

Anonymous said...

i've been waited with baited breath for pics of bryn's birthday! i must be checking your site for updates 20 times a day ... i mean, hour. lol... - C