Several months ago, we started on construction of a set of multicolored shelves for the upstairs playroom. Ben and his dad constructed each shelf in the basement, and his mom, sister, and I started the painting. Then we basically got sidetracked by life, and they remained partially painted for quite some time. Recently, though, we have renewed our determination to actually finish some household projects. Two nights ago, we spent the evening constructing the actual bookshelf. Here you can see Bryn being a "big helper" as the assembly occurs.
And here are Ben and Bryn, showing off the finished product. The shelves are made of lumber and are very, very heavy. They definitely won't be going anywhere, even if Bryn attempts to climb on them.... as she did only minutes after they were built. We still have a second set to make to put on the other end of the futon upstairs. The second set is about half painted, so we're hoping to have it done and assembled within the week. Then we'll actually be able to say that we've finished a project! And, more importantly, we will have a place to store Bryn's overwhelming array of toys.
Here's the finished product. We painted the crates to match. Not bad, if I do say so myself!