Pages

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Awakening

I'm just back from a truly fabulous weekend serving on the Awakening team at Zionsville Presbyterian Church. The Awakening is a retreat for teenagers, modeled after the Great Banquet, which I went through two years ago. I also served on an Awakening team two years ago, as a table leader, and I gave a talk. This year I was on the kitchen team, which was a whole different experience. We didn't see as much of the girls going through the retreat, but we were overwhelmed with community volunteers who came in to serve. I was so touched by all the love in the community and really enjoyed getting to spend time working with people I hadn't seen in quite a while.

As I'm sure you can tell by the pictures, the kitchen team did display a certain amount of craziness. We had a theme for every meal and dressed accordingly, and the tables were decorated in kind. Here you can see the Western theme of Friday's dinner, the pirate theme of Saturday's lunch, the princess theme of Saturday's dinner, and the 50's diner theme of Sunday's breakfast. Missing are the comic/cartoon theme of Saturday's breakfast and the tailgate/Colts theme of Sunday's lunch, but let me assure you, they were just as impressive.

And the food..... For those of you who are impressed by the menu and desserts of Game Night, you would have been blown away by this. Every meal was gourmet fare, all prepared by hand with fresh ingredients for 100 people. Such as a cornbread recipe, involving 4 1/2 cups of flour, 3 cups of cornbread, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, etc..... prepared 6 times over. We chopped endless fresh fruit, used up 15 dozen eggs, served 50 pounds of potatoes, and had to send volunteers to the store to get more of various items. Not to mention the endless dirty dishes....

Lest you think that I'm complaining, let me assure you, this was the best weekend I've had in ages. I came back exhausted, yes, but also completely rejuvenated and revitalized. Four of the girls who went through the retreat accepted Christ for the first time, and I think all of us came away rededicated. What an amazing weekend! I highly recommend that everyone experience a weekend like this at some point in their lives. Let me sign off for today with a nod to those who have already done so--De Colores!

1 comment:

Oh Libby said...

ok i can barely recognize anyone! but thankfully, i knew where to spot that dress... ;)