Pages

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Adventures in Feeding

I guess that New Year's is the typical time to make big plans for changing your eating habits. Bryn has been really good about eating (almost) all table foods and completely giving up the bottle for a sippy cup. Her one food remnant of babyhood is vegetables. She still eats the tiny Gerber jars of baby food rather than venturing into actual vegetables. Well, since Bryn's primary food group of choice is "whatever's on Mama's plate," I guess this explains her lack of vegetables, since green things very rarely make it into my daily diet. We do eat a lot of salad, but one bite of lettuce was enought to convince her that this is a food she will not enjoy until later. I like raw veggies, but she doesn't have enough teeth to bite and chew them. So I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to eat some hot veggies to get her to do it. Ew. This leads me to the main course of yesterday's lunch--spaghetti squash. That's right, the noodles you see on her tray in the photo are not actually noodles--they're squash. I found this recipe for mixing spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and some spices and baking it to make, well, spaghetti. After seeing me eat some, Bryn went to it so voraciously that I had to strip her down to keep her from getting sauce all over her shirt. (Besides, this blog has been seriously lacking in nakie baby pictures.) I have to admit that if someone else had served me this dish without telling me what was in it, I would never have known that it wasn't noodles. That being said, since I had cooked it, I DID know that it wasn't noodles, thus making every mouthful pretty disturbing. In the end, Bryn and I both had full meals of squash, and although I was starving again 2 hours later (apparently squash just does not fill you up like actual noodles), she seemed quite happy. Ah, the things I do for my daughter. I draw the line at cooked carrots though!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So cool. This is kind of what I'm trying to study in the howler monkeys: do baby monkeys learn what to eat from their mommas, or is it more of a trial and error process??

If the cooked vegetable thing doesn't work out, there are ways for kids to eat raw veggies. Shazzie talks a lot about raising her daughter on 100% raw vegan foods, and I think she is soon publishing a book with recipies.

At any rate, your spagetti squash sounds great, and I'm sure I would have loved it!!