Pages

Monday, November 27, 2006

Monday Morning

So it's Monday morning at 8:45, and Bryn is miraculously still asleep. This hasn't happened for months, and I'm loving the time to myself. I'm happy to report that we are all healthy again, with the exception of the fact that I think Bryn is teething again, since she keeps fussing and chewing on her own hand. We had a great, albeit short, trip to Grand Rapids for Thanksgiving. We left on Wednesday night when Ben got off work and returned here on Friday afternoon, in time for Ben to pick up the dogs at the kennel and me to make it to work for the post-Thanksgiving retail frenzy.

We spent Thanksgiving itself with Ben's extended-extended family, meaning his family plus his uncle's wife's in-laws on the other side, if that makes sense at all. It was a big enough crowd that we did it at a room in Ben's aunt and uncle's church, and the spread was enormous. Bryn did not seem to be a very big fan of the turkey, in spite of the fact that she really likes it in its lunchmeat form. She did, however, nibble on a little squash and some sweet potatoes, but her favorites were the bread roll, the marshmallow fluff, and the pumpkin pie. The fluff and the pie were really big treats for her, as the only sweet she has ever had before was her birthday cupcake! The girls--me, Bryn, Ben's sister Jill, Ben's mom, and Ben's grandma--spent Thanksgiving night eating leftovers and relaxing in front of the TV, while the boys--Ben, his dad, his uncle Dan, and his cousin David--bundled up and went out for some night fishing on a Michigan pier. I think I know who got the good end of that deal!! :)

The rest of the weekend included excessive hours at JoAnn's for me and various home improvement projects for Ben. We both worked really hard and were exhausted at the end. I am amazed at how many people feel the need to stand in ridiculously long lines to buy vast arrays of fake flowers during the post-Thanksgiving sale, but then, I can't really judge, since I did some shopping of my own after my shift ended. Ben did some serious heavy lifting in an effort to get some of our many boxes where they need to be, and as a result, our house is starting to look more put-together, or at least on the first floor. The basement, on the other hand, is starting to look crowded!!

Last night we put up Christmas lights on the outside of our house since it was so unseasonable warm (64 degrees in an Indiana November--wow). By "we put the lights up," I mean that I located them in our many basement boxes and then Ben actually strung them up. They look great, and if we could just manage to get some sod laid in our yard, I would think that the outside of our house is perfectly gorgeous. We then made a trip to Menards to do some research on various home-improvement projects that we'd like to do, and then we met Derek for dinner. Derek and I are ridiculously excited that a brand-new Monical's Pizza just opened in Avon, as just the smell of the place, not to mention the deliciousness of the Family Pleaser with Creamy Italian dressing, invokes all kinds of great memories of many Friday and Saturday nights out with the Clan in high school. I think that Ben thought our extreme love of Monical's was a little weird, but at the end of the meal, he signed up to be on their mailing list for upcoming deals and specials, so I guess that means we've managed to suck him in to the obsession.

Well, it's 9:00 and I'm hearing faint rustles from the nursery, so I guess my free time is almost at an end. Happy belated Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment:

themadlibs said...

just so you know, it was warmer in Brownsburg, Indiana than Pasadena, CA last night... brr, it's cold here (well, in comparison - its 54 right now at noon)...

Oh Amy, i cannot wait to see pics from christmas, the house all 'done', etc... tell Ben and Bryn i said yello!