Pages

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Working Hard or Hardly Working?

Last night I began my stint as a test evaluator for MacGraw-Hill. I'm working every night from 5:30 to 10:30 for the next month. This creates a few problems, such as the fact that Ben has to get up at the crack of dawn (technically, before dawn) to go to work early so he can get off early so he can be home in time to watch Bryn while I run out the door to get there.... phew. The second problem would be that I usually go to bed at 9:30 (I love my sleep!), so not even getting off work until 10:30 is not an enjoyable prospect for me, especially since Bryn still wakes up screaming about half the nights in each week. Ugh.

Anyway, last night was the first night. When I arrived, the parking lot was overflowing and there were several hundred people waiting in line to be checked in. Apparently this is a far more large-scale operation than what I realized. I finally got my assignment, which is 9th grade math. WHAT? I'm a licensed English teacher--one would think that it would make sense to have me evaluate English. But no, my portion of test-grading involves making sure that high school freshmen can take a list of numbers at put them in numerical order. Definitely brain-numbing work. Last night's schedule went something like this:

5:30 - arrive at the testing center and stand in a really long line
6:00 - boss-man goes over the rules
6:15 - put on headsets for specialized training; listed to clicks in white noise
6:30 - everyone finally has a password and can log in; begin "welcome speech" (with time lag, so since I'm sitting 3 seats away from the speaker, I get to hear it all twice)
6:45 - begin work on scoring 10 sample problems
6:47 - finish scoring 10 sample problems
7:00 - begin going over the correct answers for sample problems as a group
7:10 - after going over the first four answers, the computers go down and we are all told to hang on while they are fixed
8:00 - break time, during which I return a phone message from my dad (the most intellectually stimulating thing that has happened all night)
8:15 - break ends and we go back to sitting around (I should mention that we are not allowed food, phones, books, newspapers, etc. inside the testing center)
9:15 - boss realizes that the computers are not going to be fixed tonight and lets everyone go home

So at $10 an hour, I guess it wasn't that bad, although I did feel myself losing brain cells as I sat there. I repeat--ugh. Anyway, I'm off to take Bryn over to Caroline's house for a playdate with Elaina while I drive out to Avon to interview for some lucrative retail jobs to fill my evenings once my month of testing fun is over. If it wasn't for that whole "need money to survive thing," unemployment would be looking better and better....

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wow, this sounds like a very busy routine. I am tired just reading about it. Will you be able to take a nap during the day? Good luck with the 9th grad math section. I remember 9th grade math well-- we had geometry together and Mr. Stortz would write "Moline" on our papers if we took too many steps doing proofs. Maybe you can do that too?