Pages

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Timeout

Lately Bryn has developed a truly terrible habit: a refusal to sleep in her crib at night. She will take naps there without more than the usual amount of fuss, and she will go to sleep there at night. But partway through the night, she wakes up and screams bloody murder until we evenually give up and let her sleep in the big bed with us. This entails one of us (usually Ben) taking her into the guest room and sleeping there with her for the rest of the night. We have tried letting her scream it out, but she has proven that she can outlast us, with screams numbering into the multiple hours. We have tried rocking her back to sleep, and she has been out cold on our laps, only to freak out again when we lay her back in bed. I fear that letting her sleep with us will spiral into bed-sharing until she's 10 or something, but in the middle of the night, I'm willing to do basically anything for some sleep. Anyway, the other day, she was playing in the living room and somehow twisted herself around so that she was facing the wall, where she sat for a good long time, contemplating our wall. Ben said it looked like she was putting herself in "time out," and I responded that she deserved it after all of that nightly screaming.

Meanwhile, her other new idea of fun is opening our cabinets and digging through them. I would say that it's time to childproof the house, but since we'll be moving so shortly and we're having house showings and all that, it seems rather counterproductive. Her favorite cabinet seems to be this black one, which is literally the only piece of furniture (besides the lamp) in our den, as the rest of it is now in storage. The cabinet used to hold a random assortment of things, including a surge protector, two dog brushes, a fanny pack full of year-old dog treats, and several leashes that we used before our dogs were 50 pounds each. Ben saw no problem with letting her play with those things, as it is true that she seems happiest when playing with inappropriate items. I, however, am a paranoid parent, so I emptied the entire cabinet, disinfected it, and then filled it with Bryn's toys and books. She is now happy to sit in front of it and play by herself for significant chunks of time, which I greatly appreciate, since it means that for the first time in 10 months, I am able to eat a meal by myself without the accompanying sound of fussing.

The next few days hold a trip to Peoria for me to visit family. One of the great perks of unemployment - I can travel whenever I feel like it. Anyone up for a road trip?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

DaVinci Code is one of the books I brought to read in Nic. I'm glad you mentioned you'd read it several times-- I am realizing that I didn't bring nearly enough books with me and I may have to read some of them twice!

Thanks so much for visiting my mom in P-town!! She loves being a "grandma" to Bryn!

Melissa said...

Oops, I think I meant for that DaVinci comment to be on your last post, which actually pertained to the DaVinci code. Oh well, I think you'll figure it out.