Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Updates

It has been a crazy week for us, so I'll attempt a summary. My sore throat persisted for a full seven days before my second trip to the doctor. At the end of those 7 days, it was still completely raw. I had trouble swallowing and I was losing my voice, although not nearly to the extent of Ben, who sounded like a scary ax murderer every time he talked because his voice was so raspy. On Friday night, there was very little sleep to be had at our house, since all three of us were up with these horrible juicy coughs for most of the night. On Saturday morning, Ben gave in and agreed to see a doctor for the first time in six years. Luckily we were able to get in with the good doctor (I think I would willingly have just curled up and died if my only other option was to see the bad doctor again), so we went in for a full family visit. By this point, Bryn was by far the healthiest of the three of us. Her sore throat was basically gone, and some Pediacare provided an easy fix for her cough. Ben was prescribed something that he describes as "codeine in a bottle" due to how quickly it knocks him out. Due to the fact that I had been sick for an entire week, the doctor even wrote a prescripton for me, in spite of the fact that I am still nursing. Unfortunately, she didn't have all that many choices as to what to prescribe to still make it safe for Bryn, so I ended up on these gigantic pills that make me incredibly nauseous every time I take them. However, they do seem to be clearing up the infection, so we are all on the road to recovery.

On Sunday, Brynie and I loaded up the car and met up with the ZCHS Student Council for our annual retreat to Camp Tecumseh. Highlight: getting to work with some really great kids and staff. Lowlight: boys who seemed to feel that their status as upperclassmen gave them the right to be terribly mean to our sweet, hardworking female officers. It was a very full weekend, and it was great to get to see all the kids after most of a summer off. However, it seems that Bryn might not have the same love of camping that her mom and dad do, since she absolutely refused to sleep at night. She and I were in a private cabin, and she seeemed to be thinking, "I know there are big kids out partying somewhere!" She was up past 1:00 and woke up repeatedly during the night, largely due to her newest trick: sitting up by herself.

Bryn is getting to be very mobile, although still no crawling, largely due to the fact that she can get pretty much anywhere she wants to by her patented "scoot and roll" method. She is now sitting up by herself. Unfortunately, she does not seem to understand how to lie back down once she gets into the sitting position. So when she sits up in the night, she can't figure out how to get back down, so she has to scream for Mama to come put her back into a sleeping position. This was cute for the first night but is now causing some severe sleep deprivation for Ben and me. We had to take the bumper out of her crib because she kept trying to pull up ever further on that once she sat up (I'm thinking, "Oh, so this is how children suffocate.") Her chief amusement these days is trying to follow the dog around the house--I really don't know what she did for fun before Tela came back.

Our week was capped off this morning, when I got a call at 9:00 (I was still in my pajamas due to a long sleepless night with Bryn) to let me know that we were having a house showing at 10:30. Our house was covered with mess, since all we wanted to do during our full-family illness was sit on the couches and watch kiddie videos. In addition to this, we had also not unpacked from our weekend at Camp T. So I essentially became a human whirlwind for an hour and a half, somehow managing to tidy, dust, and vacuum our entire house, in addition to both showering and cleaning the bathroom, before the realtor showed up. Ben drove home from work to help and managed to get all the weeds pulled from the front walk approximately 2 minutes before the realtor pulled up. So hopefully the showing went well and we can get out of this house! Since we've only had 8 showings in the 3 months our house has been on the market, each of them seems pretty monumental. This was the first one on a weekday, so we were pretty unprepared for it, but I think we made it through okay.

So that's the basic summary of why I have dropped off the face of the earth lately: a week of illness, losing my voice, a weekend out of town, and craziness when we got back, not to mention the fever-pitch job search for something, anything, that can bring in a paycheck. I know I owe many of you phonecalls and/or emails, and I promise I'll get on that in the next few days. Hope you're all doing well!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I've been offline for a while and am just getting caught up on your life. As for sicknesses, I've had plenty of luck with honey/lemon tea for sore throat and also (you won't like this)... raw garlic cloves. Garlic is a more powerful antibiotic then penecillan (spelling?), and on the plus side, I am not allergic to it. If you eat it with carrot sticks or saltine crackers, it goes down better.

I hope you're feeling better and the job search is going well.