Pages

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Groundbreaking


Yesterday Ben decided to drive by our lot on his lunch break. We figured there probably wouldn't really be anything to see, since we'd been there less than a week before and hadn't heard anything from our builders since then. But lo and behold, we had a big hole in the ground! So our house, or at least our basement, is now officially underway. We were so excited that we decided to go back in the evening to take pictures, but by the time we got there, it was pouring down rain. Luckily, our very nice new neighbors, Adarryl and Jennifer, saw our car and came running out into the rain to welcome us into their house and give us an entire cd full of pictures they had taken of the digging of the basement for us. They told us all about how their neighbor on the other side had done this for them when their house was being built. Before we left, they gave us all of their contact information and asked for all of ours so we could be in touch. They are SO nice. He's a pastor and she stays at home with the kids, a 3-year-old boy and a 3-month-old daughter, who I'm sure will be Brynie's playmate by next summer. So it was a red-letter day for us, first to learn that our house is FINALLY under construction, and secondly to re-discover what great neighbors we will have. (They were actually one of the large selling points of this particular lot for us--we met them when we were out looking at lots and liked them right away.) So it looks like things are finally looking up!

After gazing at our muddy hole, we went over to our friends Ryan (Ben's high school friend) and Kathy's apartment, ate pizza, and played an incredibly high-stress game of Shadows Over Camelot. Normally I'm not into the "gamer" games that Ben and Ryan like, but this one was great. So great, in fact, that when we got home, I suggested to Ben that we play it with more friends tonight!!! I think I'm hooked.

Today the Muffin and I went to the zoo, which was still surprisingly crowded for this close to the start of the school year. She was so much more alert this time than she has been during our last few trips, and I think she really enjoyed it. I kept lifting her out of her stroller so she could see everything. She got particularly excited about the brown bear, the meer kats, and the dolphins. (Melissa--the monkey exhibit was very weak.) Unfortunately, her favorite part, the waters pavillion, was closed for renovations--thus making me very glad that 9 month olds can't really anticipate things, because I would have had a very fussy baby on my hands otherwise! We then met up with Ben for lunch, and Bryn was very excited to see him when she woke up from her carseat snooze!

The only downside to the day occurred when I tried to take Bryn for her blood draw on the way home. The pediatrician that we went to last night (since our good one moved away) ordered the blood draw, although he did not tell me what it was for. Standard procedure, I'm hoping!?!? Anyway, we went to the lab he had recommended. This experience was pretty much a comedy of errors, except that I'm afraid of needles anyway, especially when it comes to someone sticking needles in Bryn, so I was horrified by the whole thing. We were the only ones there, and there was only one girl working, serving as both receptionist and nurse. When I handed her the paperwork, which clearly stated it was for a 9 month test, she said, "So this is for you then?" When I said, "No, it's for her," she got a look of true horror on her face and said, "Oh, okay...." in a quavery tone of voice. I was pretty scared, but I didn't realize she was the only one there, so I figured she'd get someone else to do it. After I filled out all the paperwork, she said that she would be "right with me," and then I read the majority of People magazine and watched Bryn play in the waiting room until this girl finally emerged again, a full half an hour later. She took me into a lab and told me that I had to hold Bryn on my lap while she did the draw. Then she started exploring Bryn's arm for veins. Okay, maybe that was right, I don't know. But every time Bryn has had shots before, she's been lying down, and they've done it in her leg. Maybe blood draws are different, but this chick was not inspiring me with a lot of confidence. Then she told me that she thought there was some way that I should be able to pull up my leg and wrap it around Bryn to restrain her....... I'm envisioning myself as a human pretzel when she says, "Yeah, it's been a really long time since I've done a child....." She continued to poke and prod Bryn, attempting to find a vein, while I repeated, "We can just come back some other time...." She was like, "No, it's fine, I think I can do it." At the last minute, thank goodness, she panicked and said, "I can't do this!!" So Bryn and I made a speedy getaway. I don't know what it is with the medical professionals in Zionsville, but I'm thinking I'd be safer to perform the procedures myself than to trust her to these people!!! Yikes. I'm thinking that the sooner we move to Brownsburg, the better!

5 comments:

Crissy said...

Sounds like you don't have much trust in your pediatrician....you should talk to your new neighbors and see who they take their children to or recommend. If I didn't know what a certain test was for, I sure wouldn't have it done without finding out. Also, I'm told the older babies and toddlers are, the harder it is to restrain them as many pediatricians/doctors require their parents to do the restraining.

themadlibs said...

that's one fine looking hole, ma'am!

Amy, Ben, and Bryn said...

Crissy - We are DEFINITELY getting a new pediatrician. We had a great one, and then he left, and we only had one regular visit to do before our move, so we figured it would be fine to just use the old pediatrician's partner for just a check-up.... we were clearly wrong! Our next visit will definitely find us at the pediatrician in Brownsburg that our old good doctor recommended!

Joe said...

Thanks for the comment! I finally got around to checking out your blog (computer problems). Bryn is such a cutie!

Melissa said...

What a traumatic doctor experience. I'm sure your new neighbors will be able to recommend a good pediatrician soon! It sounds like your new neighborhood has lots of lovely people in it.